Thread: How to Torque on ubuntu 10.04 on a single multicore machine

Beans

How to Torque on ubuntu 10.04 on a single multicore machine

I updated this on jul 21 using comments below

Torque is a batch job queuing system that is used on clusters. But I find it handy to use it on my multi-core workstation as well. It allows jobs that need to be run to be schedule by multiple users. The scheduler will make sure that not too many jobs are run simultaneously which could cause high system loads or memory issues.

I previously posted how to install torque on ubuntu hardy from the torque source package. However, torque is now in the repositories of lucid and here are the steps that I had to take to get it to work on my workstation.

For this setup I kept the server host name 'torqueserver' which is the default in the package. You can do the same or use a fully qualified domain name. In that case, you will have to adept the steps somewhat.

My workstation has 8 cores, and I only want to give 6 of them to the que. Please adapt your numbers accordingly.

0) open root terminal
    Code:
    sudo -s
    1) add torqueserver as an alias to /etc/hosts.
    Code:
    gedit /etc/hosts
    change 127.0.1.1	myHostName to 127.0.1.1	myHostName torqueserver
    *) see post by drlemon. Alternatively use a resolvable host name (check with 'host $HOSTNAME') in the file: /var/lib/torque/server_name and whereever torqueserver is used below, use that host name

2) install torque from repositories
    Code:
    apt-get install torque*
    3) stop torque
    Code:
    qterm
    4) check torque is not running (otherwise you can kill it)
    Code:
    ps aux | grep pbs
    5) create missing directory
    Code:
    mkdir /var/lib/torque/server_priv/arrays
    6) add torqueserver as serverhost
    Code:
    echo "SERVERHOST localhost" >> /var/lib/torque/torque.cfg
    7)setup nodes:
    Code:
    echo "torqueserver np=8" >> /var/lib/torque/server_priv/nodes
    echo "pbs_server = 127.0.1.1" >> /var/lib/torque/mom_priv/config
    8) setup database
    Code:
    pbs_server -t create
    9) create que and set server settings in database
    Code:
    qmgr torqueserver
    create queue batch
    set queue batch queue_type = Execution
    set queue batch max_running = 6
    set queue batch resources_max.ncpus = 8
    set queue batch resources_max.nodes = 1
    set queue batch resources_default.ncpus = 1
    set queue batch resources_default.neednodes = 1:ppn=1
    set queue batch resources_default.walltime = 24:00:00
    set queue batch max_user_run = 6
    set queue batch enabled = True
    set queue batch started = True
    set server default_queue = batch
    set server scheduling = True

exit
    10) restart server and scheduler and node server
    Code:
    qterm
    pbs_server
    pbs_sched #this will give some warning about missing files
    pbs_mom
    11) check that the nodes are up
    Code:
    pbsnodes -a
    12) exit the root terminal and as a normal user test the que
    Code:
    exit
    qstat -q
    echo "sleep 30" | qsub
    qstat
    13) see drlemon: do a gedit /etc/init.d/torque* and change in all three files the pidfile= line so that it points to /var/lib instead of /var/spool. Additionally remove the -t create from the server options in the torque-server file.

This works for me but probably requires more configuration in a demanding computing environment. Check out the torque website for more queue configurations, user management etc.
    Last edited by jouke.postma; July 21st, 2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: incoporating comment below

Beans

Re: How to Torque on ubuntu 10.04 on a single multicore machine

Thank you, jouke.postma ! In case someone else needs to repeat it, here is my experience with your instructions.

Messing with my /etc/hosts file somehow made me lose internet connection, but I was able to set up torque with the existing hostname. An extra issue that I found is that the file /var/lib/torque/server_name may need to be edited if you end up changing the name of the host.

The contents of my working mom_priv/config file are slightly different (per torque documentation):
    Code:
    drlemon@lynx-desktop:~$ cat /var/lib/torque/mom_priv/config 
    $pbsserver lynx-desktop
    $logevent 255
    And there was yet another surprise: the init daemons /etc/init.d/torque-* were all pointing to resources in /var/spool/torque (the default installation directory in the torque tar ball) instead of /var/lib/torque (which is where the package in Lucid installed it), and I had to go in and manually edit the paths to make them work. This bug has already been reported https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ue/+bug/360827 , and the developers said it should be fixed in the next Ubuntu (Meerkat), which will have torque 2.4.

Beans

Thank you for this very helpful guide to getting started!
    However, following the queue setup exactly in the 'qmgr' stage, I could only ever run a single job at a time on my multi-core machine. A simpler setup allowed multiple jobs to run at once:

Code:
    $ qmgr
    Max open servers: 4
    Qmgr: list queue batch
    Queue batch
        queue_type = Execution
        total_jobs = 0
        state_count = Transit:0 Queued:0 Held:0 Waiting:0 Running:0 Exiting:0 
        max_running = 6
        resources_max.ncpus = 8
        resources_default.ncpus = 1
        mtime = Thu Oct 21 18:35:37 2010
        resources_assigned.ncpus = 0
        resources_assigned.nodect = 0
        enabled = True
        started = True
    I therefore advise executing a few of the above 'set queue batch <blah>' commands in the qmgr, choosing them carefully. resources_default.ncpus=1 seems to be important.

Beans

Dear all
    I have a brand new installation of torque 2.4.8, I am currently testing torque and maui for my main cluster. My boss did not let me test it on the actual cluster, so I used a simple linux box, and installated talk server and talk client on both, I have installed the latest snapshot version of maui. maui and torque can talk perfectly, as i can see maui can identify the resources when i do showq
    ACTIVE JOBS--------------------
    JOBNAME USERNAME STATE PROC REMAINING STARTTIME

0 Active Jobs 0 of 2 Processors Active (0.00%)
    0 of 1 Nodes Active (0.00%)

IDLE JOBS----------------------
    JOBNAME USERNAME STATE PROC WCLIMIT QUEUETIME

0 Idle Jobs

BLOCKED JOBS----------------
    JOBNAME USERNAME STATE PROC WCLIMIT QUEUETIME

But all jobs that I submit i do not get the output and error files, and when i do a tracejob I get the following
    :
    06/16/2011 19:13:45 S enqueuing into batch, state 1 hop 1
    06/16/2011 19:13:45 S Job Queued at request of milton@milton-desktop, owner = milton@milton-desktop, job name =
    ExampleJob, queue = batch
    06/16/2011 19:13:45 S Job Modified at request of Scheduler@milton-desktop
    06/16/2011 19:13:45 S Email 'b' to milton@cs.wits.ac.za failed: Child process '/usr/sbin/sendmail -f
    milton@cs.wits.ac.za milton@cs.wits.ac.za ' returned 127 (errno 10:No child processes)
    06/16/2011 19:13:45 L Job Run
    06/16/2011 19:13:45 S Job Run at request of Scheduler@milton-desktop
    06/16/2011 19:13:45 S Reject reply code=15001(Unknown Job Id), aux=0, type=JobObituary, from pbs_mom@milton-desktop
    06/16/2011 19:13:45 M job was terminated
    06/16/2011 19:13:45 M obit sent to server
    06/16/2011 19:13:45 A queue=batch
    06/16/2011 19:13:45 M scan_for_terminated: job 52.milton-desktop task 1 terminated, sid=29831
    06/16/2011 19:13:45 M server rejected job obit - 15001
    06/16/2011 19:13:45 A user=milton group=milton jobname=ExampleJob queue=batch ctime=1308244425 qtime=1308244425
    etime=1308244425 start=1308244425 owner=milton@milton-desktop exec_host=torqueserver/0
    Resource_List.ncpus=1 Resource_List.neednodes=1 Resource_List.nodect=1 Resource_List.nodes=1
    Resource_List.walltime=00:01:00
    06/16/2011 19:14:22 A 06/16/2011 19:14:22 S dequeuing from batch, state EXITING
    06/16/2011 19:14:22 S Email 'a' to milton@cs.wits.ac.za failed: Child process '/usr/sbin/sendmail -f
    milton@cs.wits.ac.za milton@cs.wits.ac.za ' returned 127 (errno 10:No child processes)

I googled everything about the error and could not find a solution. That happen to everyjob I submit, I really appreciate if any of you could help me with that.
    Thank you very much
    Milton Lauxande

Beans

Nice post - but I don't manage to get it to work under Oneiric. Is there anything which is missing ion your post here? It sems that the config in /var/lib/torque/ is not picked up by torque:

pbsnodes -a
    pbsnodes: Server has no node list MSG=node list is empty - check 'server_priv/nodes' file

after going thropugh yout howto.

Rainer

Beans

I can't get it to work on 11.10 either. qterm returns the error "qterm: Unauthorized request". In addition the package is installed to /var/spool/torque instead of /var/lib but its not like I got far along enough for that to be an issue.
    Last edited by GenericPlayer; March 4th, 2012 at 08:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I added a reply to this post that might be useful in sorting out the "Unauthorized request" issue:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...4#post11797874

In short, make sure /etc/torque/server_name is the same as /etc/hostname

Beans

I'm not sure if that's completely true;

The [resources_default.ncpus=1] command is setting the default resources for any job submitted to the queue.

The [max_running = 6] command sets the number of jobs allowed to run simultaneously in the queue.

If you want a user to be able to run multiple simultaneous jobs, you need to set the previous command and have [max_user_run = #] set.

This should let you run submit and simultaneously run multiple jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulPrice View Post
    Thank you for this very helpful guide to getting started!
    However, following the queue setup exactly in the 'qmgr' stage, I could only ever run a single job at a time on my multi-core machine. A simpler setup allowed multiple jobs to run at once:

Code:
    $ qmgr
    Max open servers: 4
    Qmgr: list queue batch
    Queue batch
        queue_type = Execution
        total_jobs = 0
        state_count = Transit:0 Queued:0 Held:0 Waiting:0 Running:0 Exiting:0 
        max_running = 6
        resources_max.ncpus = 8
        resources_default.ncpus = 1
        mtime = Thu Oct 21 18:35:37 2010
        resources_assigned.ncpus = 0
        resources_assigned.nodect = 0
        enabled = True
        started = True
    I therefore advise executing a few of the above 'set queue batch <blah>' commands in the qmgr, choosing them carefully. resources_default.ncpus=1 seems to be important.

Beans

Your tutorial is great - really helped get things going.

Can I configure an up-and-running installation of torque/pbs to send email notifications or do I have to uninstall it all (via aptitude) and install it from their tar ball?