Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waiting For Sound System to Respond Lucid Lynx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Waiting For Sound System to Respond Lucid Lynx

I'm right there with couzin2000, except headphones work fine... As I've said in my other threads, this happened immediately after an UPDATE to Lucid... It worked like a CHARM right after I Upgraded....but the update definitely screwed thing up... I finally had sutrround sound after three previous Ubuntu versions without it! Sound works fine now in Totem, VLC, flash, etc, but I cannot access the sound preferences menu or use volume control.... "Waiting for sound system to respond".... Surely this a bug? I just keep waiting for another update to come out that fixes it... No logical explanation for it to work then not work like that... Does Ubuntu not have moderators/developers who monitor these forums?
    Last edited by lilychef; June 22nd, 2010 at 10:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by couzin2000 View Post
    It would help me to know why I would be removing these files... for now, I HAVE audio - I wanna ensure I'm keeping it!
    That just removes configuration files, which has been an issue of late with cruft remaining on an update. Also I would check permissions of home/user folders.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lidex View Post
    That just removes configuration files, which has been an issue of late with cruft remaining on an update. Also I would check permissions of home/user folders.
    Uh.... What's "cruft"? And didn't I just post that this problem started with an update? Ain't no way in hell I'm going to mess with code unless I know it's going to fix the problem and reverse whatever was messed up by the update in the first place.... I have neither the time nor the energy to reinstall Ubuntu... I sure wish there were active developers on hand monitoring the forums.... Much of the suggestions found here are vague, ambiguous, or open-ended....

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Same thing here, lilychef, too vague for me. I have everything running properly - I'm looking at Pulseaudio monitoring, everything works great - except now I get no sound through the HDMI,*and get the same problematic crap through the headphone jack.

Can someone PLEASE point me to the right direction? Need any info, like ls | grep audio or something like that? Help us out here, this is ridiculous. I'd love to finally watch movies on my plasma tv!
    Couzin2000
    Sainte-Thérèse | Quebec | Canada

Beans
    Distro

Now I'm getting sporadic functionality. Flash and streaming works, but not my regular MP3's!! UGH!! This happened suddenly and not after a reboot. What's so ridiculous is that I had such an AWESOME sound system with full control of my speakers, etc. when I first upgraded to Lucid, and now it's gone! That's just NOT RIGHT. I'm going to try to keep this thread open until somebody comes along with a fix.

Oh - and did I mention that when the problem first appeared, all system sounds disappeared? Is that a clue? Couzin2000 - are you getting system sounds?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Yes, I do have system sounds, though they are turned off. I turn them off systematically every time I reinstall, as it just gobbles up more CPU cycles.

Now, for no reason I can understand (as I've made no modifications to my last know config), I'm getting no sound through the HDMI.

When I look into Pulseaudio I can see the VUmeters and I AM getting signal - I checked out absolutely everything, and the only thing I can think of is that there is a switch somewhere in this software that I'm not getting at.

Again, more help needed, perhaps by a developer or someone who truly know his way around all this?
    Couzin2000
    Sainte-Thérèse | Quebec | Canada

Beans
    Distro

Still waiting for support here... Two updates have come and gone with no help... Is nobody listening?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12