Thread: Ubuntu 10.04 and Guild Wars

Beans

Ubuntu 10.04 and Guild Wars

Hey, Im new to Linux and was just wondering if Guild Wars works with Ubuntu 10.04. I downloaded it from the Ubuntu main site and downloaded all the updates for it. I recently put wine on it and compiz settings. (Desktop Cube and such). I was just going to wait before I install Guild Wars to make sure my computer doesn't blow up XD. Any replies would be helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu 10.04 and Guild Wars

I believe it works under Wine. Which is a program you will use to use Windows compatable programs when they're not Linux compatable. There is a Wine forum which a quick search shows:

Installing Guild Wars

Wine website talking about Guild Wars compatability

Enjoy!
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    GO d+ s+:+ a-- C++ L++ P+ L++ E-- W++ N o-- K- w O M-- V- PS+ PE- Y+ PGP+ t 5 X- R tv b- DI+ D+ G++ e h--- r+++ y+++
    ------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

Beans

Smile Re: Ubuntu 10.04 and Guild Wars

Thank you, I will check it out!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Arrow Re: Ubuntu 10.04 and Guild Wars

Yea it works, I just did a EOTN tour with my friend.

But, I have very low fps and ocassional freezes of like 1-2 seconds, and about 10-20 fps only.

I wanted 2 know if I could fix my graphics card performance at all?

My specs are ATi Mob Radeon HD 4570 512 MB DDR3 , and I installed the flgrx drivers suggested in hardware drivers. It all works fine, but even turning the video quality settings to low it doesn't seem to increase fps at all ...

The cube works perfectly, even while running Guild Wars I can rotate the cube and switch Desktop Areas no problem.

Maybe I'm overlooking something here, not sure ...

Hey I just remembered I read the cube should be disabled to get some more performance, might try that ...
    Last edited by elkanji; June 13th, 2010 at 03:09 AM.

Beans

Whenever I try to play guild wars, it shows the login screen and my characters, but its all black and I can hear music....I don't know what to do?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

That means it won't work.

U got to uninstall video drivers and install the drivers that are in Hardware Drivers, instead of installing the video drivers u down load from the video card website.

Is it ATi drivers at all?

Beans

Well, its an ATI x700 video card and last time I updated my drivers, it went nuts. I really dont know what to do with this sort of thing...But its really weird b/c compiz and visual effects are perfectly smooth, then after I installed the update, it just went berserk. Like I couldnt change the resolution and I couldnt put effects on or compiz or anything!

Beans

That's because the fglrx drivers don't support Mobility x1000 Radion series drivers and previous. The Xorg drivers seem to be the only ones that work with mine, and I have a Mobility Radion X1400 with a T5600 processor and 4 gig RAM on board. Be nice for someone to develop a legacy driver, since the X1000 series was used in so many Dell laptops

Beans

Well this sucks. Well, I have it on my Windows, so I can just play it through there. Thnx for your your help!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by elkanji View Post
    Yea it works, I just did a EOTN tour with my friend.

But, I have very low fps and ocassional freezes of like 1-2 seconds, and about 10-20 fps only.

I wanted 2 know if I could fix my graphics card performance at all?

My specs are ATi Mob Radeon HD 4570 512 MB DDR3 , and I installed the flgrx drivers suggested in hardware drivers. It all works fine, but even turning the video quality settings to low it doesn't seem to increase fps at all ...

The cube works perfectly, even while running Guild Wars I can rotate the cube and switch Desktop Areas no problem.

Maybe I'm overlooking something here, not sure ...

Hey I just remembered I read the cube should be disabled to get some more performance, might try that ...
    lol, i get 7-10 fps with x3100. I'm new to linux and don't know how to tune it run smoother even after long googling, yet i don't want to get back on windows :S If you someone came up with solution, that would be nice