Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unable to log into gnome after rebooting my machine

Beans

Re: Unable to log into gnome after rebooting my machine

UPDATE:

I was able to boot up in "Recovery Mode" and selected the option to log in as root and was able to log in, then I did the

dpkg -l *nx*

and then the

sudo apt-get remove

and was able to remove every simgle NX package there. then I rebooted and I still can't log in.

Any Ideas??

Beans

Does anybody have any other ideas????? plase!!! I cannot aford to format my server, it is mission critical!!!

Beans

go back into recovery mode and reset your user and or root password

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I agree about resetting the user password through the recovery console. While you are in there, look through the /var/log/syslog and other log files and see if you can find an error. That would point you in the right direction.

You said this is a production server? How long would it take you to backup your data, fresh install and restore the machine? It might actually be the fastest way to get back up and running.

Beans

Hi Vortmax and Cain171562:

1) I cannot reset the username and password, it will not let me it comes back with a strange error. "Segmentation fault"

2) This is a proxy server that comunicates us with another network, is used 24hr/day and it is mission critical, right not what I am doing is I am working in my office with a cloned version of it. I rather not backup the data, I would not even know where to start, I have arround 150 users configured and a lot if exeptios in the proxy server and I do not know how to back that up. I rather stay away from that.

I have to fix this one

Beans

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!

It was a samba issue, I went to and too a look at the logs at /var/log/syslog and spent quite some time there and finally saw an error that went something like...

segfault error 4 in pam_smbpass

So I went back to the login prompt and looked for all samba packages intalles using the command:

dpkg -l *smb*

and then I decided to remote the libpam-smbpass package by executing

sudo apt-get remove libpam-smbpass

I rebooted and was able to log back on with no problems. Thanks to all of you that helped specially to Vortmax.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12