Thread: Hooking up computer to phone line

Beans

Hooking up computer to phone line

How can I use my computer to record a telephone conversation? I'm not talking about skype or voip; I want to link my 'puter to my standard landline.

Here's the scenario:

I make occasional programmes for the local community radio station, pre-recording them on my computer, using a fairly decent microphone (via a mixer and pre-amp, feeding into the line-in socket on the sound card). Recording and editing is handled with Audacity, and, despite the hardware being basic stuff, I get pretty good spoken-word audio quality like this.

I want to be able to include telephone interviews with guests, preferably recorded using my mic/mixer setup so that at least my half of the conversation is of the usual studio quality.

How can I achieve this? Is a voice modem the thing to use (and if so, could someone walk me through how to use one under Ubuntu, please), or are there other hardware or software solutions? The landline in question is a BT-type here in the UK.
    Last edited by Greasyfingers; February 6th, 2011 at 03:53 PM.

Beans

Re: Hooking up computer to phone line

This is actually quite a complex feat. You'll basically need a beige box (A linesman's handset to those who don't know about phreaking), with the speaker/microphone wired up to the PC.

Unless there's another solution, I recommend just using skype/ekiga instead. A whole lot simpler, and less likely to blow your PC up
    There's no place like ~/