Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10.10 64bit AHCI hosed

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: 10.10 64bit AHCI hosed

I was just pointing out that selecting a version of Ubuntu should be exactly that: A selection. There are pros and cons for every release, and jumping to the conclusion that "10.10 is best" without measuring it against the other ones can lead to a whole lot of unnecessary trouble.

Regressions do appear, and Ubuntu is no exception.

When troubleshooting, comparing to an older version is most valuable. There is a lot of experience behind 10.04.

Quote Originally Posted by dhavalbbhatt View Post
    Besides, have you looked at your own signature of late?
    I have, an unfortunately I think I need to keep it like this for the next release.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by codingismy11to7 View Post
    Perhaps, but I didn't burn an ISO, I just upgraded from my previous install. I had no idea that any of this would happen.

Tempted to reburn 04 and just reinstall, since my install was pretty recent and this isn't my primary machine - but this is definitely something that other people are going to run into.
    You could also try a fresh install of 10.10. As of now, we don't know whether the problems relates to the upgrade or to 10.10 itself.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    You could also try a fresh install of 10.10. As of now, we don't know whether the problems relates to the upgrade or to 10.10 itself.
    No, like I've posted, I already tried this - the Live CD won't boot. The 2.6.35 kernel just plain doesn't work on this machine. The only thing that saved my install was that it WAS an upgrade, and it didn't remove my 2.6.32 kernel from 10.04.

Beans

I encountered the same problem recently on my VirtualBox (3.2.10) running 10.10 as a guest OS.

The actual upgrade went mostly-OK, and it's actually been running since release up until this morning when I encountered the problem described in the OP. Booting to the older kernel got my VM booting again (thank you @lohith!).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Same system (Dell Precision T3500), same problem (can't boot new kernel after an upgrade from 10.4 to 10.10), same symptoms (ALERT about /dev/disk/by-uuid/... does not exist).

Here's a little more background information that may be of use to the gurus. The UUID the ALERT complains about not being able to find is, indeed, the UUID associated with my root partition, which is on /dev/sda1 (when things are working). /dev/disk/by-uuid does, itself, exist, but the sole entry after the failure is the UUID of an external drive that gets mounted on /dev/sde1 (when things are working). However, the link under /dev/disk/by-uuid for the external drive is ../../sda1. The same is true for the sole entry under /dev/disk/by-label; the label for the external drive is linked to /dev/sda1.

I'm getting along by booting the old 2.6.32-25-generic kernel, but I'd obviously prefer to keep up to date with kernel updates and have the kernel I run correspond to the Ubuntu release I have installed. If there are BIOS changes I can make to get the new kernel up and running, I'm willing to give it a try until a proper fix is found, but I'd need the BIOS-changes-for-dummies explanation of what to do. -- jpl

Beans

I also have a Dell Precision T3500 workstation and I have the same problem. (Another guy in the office also has the same workstation and problem).
    We booted an older kernel as a workaround, but I'm very interested in running the latest kernel.

Beans

I'd like to chime in and say that I also have the Dell Precision T3500 and am experiencing this issue after upgrading from 10.04 to 10.10. Using the old kernel provides a workaround, as described by others in this thread. Is there a plan to fix AHCI in the .35 kernel?

Beans

I have 2 brand new (as of yesterday) Dell Precision T3500 and having similar problem. I'll try using the old kernel and see if that works (if I can).

Matt

Beans

Uhhh... I'm not sure how to install the 10.04 kernel . I installed 10.10 via USB, not by upgrade.

Matt

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

The easiest is just to install 10.04 and stick to it for the time being.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast