Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 10.10 64bit AHCI hosed

Beans

Re: 10.10 64bit AHCI hosed

Quote Originally Posted by paalst View Post
    I believe we need 2.6.37 - from the bug report:

@Bjorn: tested 2.6.37-rc1 from yesterday's Linus git repo and it works fine on my T3500 (2.6.34 to 36 had the above problems). So good fix.
    My understanding is that the 2.6.37 is being developed for Natty (http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...rsion-map.html) . Do we need to wait until next April to fix this issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have been struggling with exactly the same problem on my AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core Processor. Spent almost all day trying to find a solution and even tried re-installing from 10.04, doing a distro update etc... just to get the same problem again. 10.10 disk does not work.

I tried to replace the UUID address with a simple /dev/sda1 , but got a further error: Target filesystem does not have requested /sbin/init. No init found.

I also downloaded the latest Natty installation disk, but it will also not boot - with the same error that I get from the 10.10 disk (Unable to find a medium containing a live file system).

I'm glad I found this thread, otherwise I was going to sleep very badly tonight

Beans

Hello

you can get 10.10 working on Dell T3500 by just adding
    pci=nocrs
    to your bootloader's kernel arguments.

2.6.37 will contain a code-fix which will make that work out-of-the-box, but I understand that this fix could be applied to older Linux kernels as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bmwiedemann View Post
    Hello

you can get 10.10 working on Dell T3500 by just adding
    pci=nocrs
    to your bootloader's kernel arguments.

2.6.37 will contain a code-fix which will make that work out-of-the-box, but I understand that this fix could be applied to older Linux kernels as well.

I can confirm that this workaround is effective. I applied the pci=nocrs kernel boot option, and was able to boot 2.6.35-23 on my Dell Precision T3500. Thanks for the tip!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by phireph0x View Post
    I can confirm that this workaround is effective. I applied the pci=nocrs kernel boot option, and was able to boot 2.6.35-23 on my Dell Precision T3500. Thanks for the tip!
    Another satisfied customer of the proposed pci=nocrs workaround! For those (like me) who aren't familiar with grub tampering, here's what I did to make the change automatic:

sudo cp /boot/grub/grub.cfg /boot/grub/grub.cfg.orig
    sudo cp /etc/default/grub /etc/default/grub.orig
    sudo vi /etc/default/grub
    # < # GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    # < GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="pci=nocrs"
    # ---
    # > GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
    sudo update-grub

The first two lines are optional, but I knew /boot/grub/grub.cfg was going to be modified, so I made a backup to make it easy to restore, in case I did something stupid. Same thing for /etc/default/grub, which I changed directly (using vi, but pick your favorite editor). Change the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX variable to include the pci=nocrs fix. Then run update_grub to incorporate the change. Reboot. Enjoy 10.10. -- jpl
    Last edited by jplinderman; January 17th, 2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Typo in update-grub command name

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for the tip folks -- it works great on my Dell T3500. The added bonus is that I can finally mount an external eSATA drive now that AHCI works.

Beans

Thank a million bmwiedemann!
    I had a stressful day trying to solve this problem on my Dell Precision T3500, with no luck, until I found your suggestion.

I just rebooted with the pci=nocrs option and it worked.

Thanks again, good job!

Beans

Hi,
    I have the same T3500 machine and am unable to install Ubuntu 10.10
    How do I add pci=nocrs to bootloader's kernel arguments? I am unable to boot into the system itself. After the small human appears the system just reboots.
    Thank you for your time.

Beans
    Distro

A quick update. I upgraded to 11.04, and, with some trepidation, said to install the default grub loader when the install offered to preserve the loader with pci=nocrs. I'm pleased (but not really surprised) to say that the default loader works just fine with 11.04. It's nice to get rid of one more exception to the standard setup. -- jpl

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234