Thread: Ubuntu 10.10 installation: Can't see HD partitions

Threaded View

Beans

Arrow Ubuntu 10.10 installation: Can't see HD partitions

Pretty much as the title says. I am attempting an amd64 install on a new computer that has two 1 TB Hard Drives, with Windows 7 on one of them. When booting from a Ubuntu 10.10 CD to perform the installation, it won't let me proceed because the "2.4 GB free" condition is not met.

Terminal ->
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ fdisk -l
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

Yeah, nothing. GParted and Disk Utility both see absolutely nothing as well. I've tried this with several variations. Notably, at first I had the full 1 TB drive seen as "unallocated" by Windows; after the first failures, I hand-partioned this in Windows (since fsck didn't seem to do anything in Ubuntu), but it didn't matter, as Ubuntu still saw no hard drives. I even shrank the C partition slightly, thinking perhaps that 1 hard drive was misbehaving, but it didn't matter.

I'm at a loss as for what to do with just the CD available when it can't even acknowledge the hard drives. The only thing I can think of is this might be some bizarre bug in interfacing with the Motherboard so that Windows 7 can interface with it but not Ubuntu? This is a GA-X58A-UD3R. I looked in the setup BIOS options but didn't see anything particularly leap out as dangerous.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Snowflame; October 14th, 2010 at 05:21 AM.