Thread: Broadcom BCM4312 - Updated Firmware, now no wireless in Windows

Beans

Broadcom BCM4312 - Updated Firmware, now no wireless in Windows

I just tried 10.10, and aside from the ever-present wireless issues, I was okay with it. Unfortunately, I require wireless access to work, and it didn't work out. I removed the Ubuntu partition, fixed the Windows bootloader, and booted back into Windows to find that wireless no longer works.

Now, when I was in Ubuntu, I installed firmware-b43-lpphy-installer. I suspect that installing that overwrote whatever I had before as far as firmware goes, and the driver I have in Windows doesn't work. Now, when I say "doesn't work", I actually mean "detects and installs properly per Device Manager, but doesn't actually detect or connect to wireless networks."

I'm going to try using a liveUSB installation to reinstall the default firmware... if I can figure out what that is. I looked for a Windows firmware installer for the BCM4312 chip, but I can't find one. Running the manufacturer installer (Dell Inspiron 1564) worked, but didn't get any different results.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Beans

I'm cross-posting this to the Dell forums and the Laptop support forums, as well as the general forums. If this is against the rules, feel free to remove the offending threads.

I just tried 10.10, and aside from the ever-present wireless issues, I was okay with it. Unfortunately, I require wireless access to work, and it didn't work out. I removed the Ubuntu partition, fixed the Windows bootloader, and booted back into Windows to find that wireless no longer works.

Now, when I was in Ubuntu, I installed firmware-b43-lpphy-installer. I suspect that installing that overwrote whatever I had before as far as firmware goes, and the driver I have in Windows doesn't work. Now, when I say "doesn't work", I actually mean "detects and installs properly per Device Manager, but doesn't actually detect or connect to wireless networks."

I'm going to try using a liveUSB installation to reinstall the default firmware... if I can figure out what that is. I looked for a Windows firmware installer for the BCM4312 chip, but I can't find one. Running the manufacturer installer (Dell Inspiron 1564) worked, but didn't get any different results.

Beans

I'm cross-posting this to the Dell forums and the wireless support forums, as well as the general forums. If this is against the rules, feel free to remove the offending threads.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Broadcom BCM4312 - Updated Firmware, now no wireless in Windows

Hi,
    This first link is specific for 10.10and Dell, hope it helps? Don't worry that it says Dell mini

http://www.ubuntumini.com/2010/10/br...er-fix-in.html

Please do not create 3 threads on the same topic.

Threads merged.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Imizael View Post
    I just tried 10.10, and aside from the ever-present wireless issues, I was okay with it.
    What wifi issues?
    My Mini has the same card (I presume):
    Code:
    03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY (rev 01)
    It works well if you use the ubuntumini link Megaptera gave in 10.10. The other driver (b43) appears to work well initially, but intermittently disconnects.

As far as I know, the firmware makes no changes to the hardware at all - so it should have no effect on Windows.

Perhaps point 9 in this link might be of relevance? http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...25#post5024425
    Although a re-installed Windows should be able to fix its own ridiculous setting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

accidental reply, soory
    Last edited by bobmartens; November 1st, 2010 at 12:11 PM. Reason: reply useless after reconsidering, sorry