Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Cannot ssh from container to host

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Lynch View Post
    I tend to assign static IPs from the router. It just seems more convenient
    Jim
    Until your network is down because the router has failed. I've seen this happen at home and in corporate environments. Having 2000 workstations in a building down is bad.

Ever since that, I only use DHCP reservations for specific devices that have no other method of getting a static IP and for portable devices like tablets, phones, laptops. Our TV tuners are network devices. They have DHCP reservations, since there's no way for my TV recording scripts to find them if they aren't at a known IP on the LAN.

I suppose everyone needs to learn this for themselves the hard way.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I suppose everyone needs to learn this for themselves the hard way.
    Not at all!
    My example above is intentionally simple (thereby easy for a beginner to reproduce)
    I happily agree that the relying upon dhcp introduces a single-pont-of-failure. A robust setup will indeed be more complex.

Folks are welcome to share more complex and robust examples. We all learn.

Beans

Thanks very much! I already had a bridge, but allowed it to make the new one when I ran init. Changing it to the original bridge solved the problem. Also, sorry for the late reply.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If this is solved, please use the Thread Tools button and mark it SOLVED to help everyone else.

<DHCP and other Rant follows> Mostly off-topic ...

Just last Sunday at my local LUG, someone wasn't able to connect to his wife's computer using Samba. He knew that the IP address had changed and wondered why.

One of the other long-time, but Windows-centric members just said to update the IP in the /etc/hosts files across all the systems on his network and forget about. In his mind, IP addresses don't change.

OTOH, the guy with the issue travels for multiple weeks at a time, so basically, every time he would return home, the IP addresses for the devices that left the house would change. We tried using avahi (zeroconf) addresses, hostname.local, but those didn't work in his mixed OS environment.

Because he's purely an end user AND they have 3 laptops used inside and outside the house, that's a perfect use of DHCP reservations. He was comfortable editing the /etc/hosts files and completely understands the connections, so we didn't suggest using a pihole or the DNS that might be part of his router.

We did show him how to setup DHCP reservations in the router - screen sharing the router pages so everyone learns. We discussed his printer using a DHCP reservation and a few other devices too. We also pointed out that if his router died, then all these systems wouldn't be able to communicate. He set the IPs outside the DHCP range and understood why they couldn't be inside the normal DHCP range (I think). He took notes with the caveats.

Anyway, there are a number of networking tools for most needs. Use them where they make sense. For wired connections that don't move, just set the static IP inside the OS itself and either update your main /etc/hosts file or update your DNS with the IP.to ensure you don't accidentally double-use it.

I like to limit my DHCP range for guest devices to be 3x the number I ever expect - which is 2 per visitor. So a family of 4 would need 8 DHCP guest IPs. I also set this guest range to expire every 12 hours. If they are still around and online, then their IPs won't change.
    For my laptops/tablets/wifi devices, I have a 1 week reservation with static IPs. These are on the needed network for the device. IoT devices are on the "guest" network outside the secure network and firewalled off so they can't see anything else. Must be frustrating for the Roku not to see any other devices. I know it can be frustrating for me that I can't use a tablet to interface with the roku for faster searches. Privacy at some level has hassles and I'm willing to have those hassles. The roku cannot see/access our other media. It is only used for DRM stuff. Our Kodi systems are wired and on a different subnet. Kodi doesn't send our data to any home office, unlike the roku. We don't have any screens connected to any network. The last thing I need is a TV reporting what it hears or what we are watching to a big company. The stand-alone roku does enough of that already.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12