Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Sorry Salemboot with all due respect...

I was not able to understand the post... I am more from a windows background so dunno much about the stuff you said...

Could you translate that into simpler terms....

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Talking Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Hello,

I'm using Interpid with kernel 2.6.27-13-generic. After installing this kernel, the busybox-problem is solved.
    I am actually using intrepid-proposed and intrepid-backports.
    Greetings

Klaus

Beans

how do i make it work on a usb external hd? i tryed most of the suggestion in post
    i have a mac with i want to dual boot
    i get busy box then keep saying ata3: device not ready
    the when i replase silent thing to debug and all_generic=ide irqpoll it goes on and reconise my 750G external hd but it say: link to slow but it usb 2.0? wtf
    eny help

Beans

having the same problem here under 8.10, this is the output i'm getting on dmesg :
    Code:
    [   11.066553] ata3: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 310)
    [   16.424014] ata4: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
    [   21.072009] ata4: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
    [   26.432018] ata4: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
    [   31.080009] ata4: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
    [   36.440009] ata4: link is slow to respond, please be patient (ready=0)
    [   66.120008] ata4: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
    [   71.144006] ata4: COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
    [   71.144064] ata4: reset failed, giving up
    [   71.311055] sata_via 0000:00:0f.0: PCI INT B -> GSI 20 (level, low) -> IRQ 20
    [   71.311094] sata_via 0000:00:0f.0: routed to hard irq line 5
    [   71.311160] scsi5 : sata_via
    [   71.311585] scsi6 : sata_via

$ uname -r
    2.6.27-11-generic
    I tried the latest kernel 2.6.28.7 and no success.

This is a PCI SATA Controller card running on the VIA VT6420 chipset, attached to it is a Seagate Barracuda 200G - Model ST3200822AS.

Both the card and HD are working 100%, tested it under Windows and works flawlessly.

This is what I tried so far without success :

passing "nodmraid all_generic_ide ide=nodma" to the kernel at boot time.

Tried adding the pata_via and pata_acpi under the blacklisted modules, no go also, they keep loading at boot.

I always get BusyBox when booting with the HD attached to the PCI card, after "ata4: reset failed, giving up" I can boot calling "exit" under busybox.

From https://bugs.launchpad.net/debian/+s...37/comments/15 post, a user was able to sort it out booting under kernel 2.6.27-4-generic, have anyone tried this already ?

This problem also appears when trying to boot the installation disk for Ubuntu 8.10.

Also when I boot I can't see or access the HD attached to PCI card.
    Last edited by bpmelo; March 12th, 2009 at 09:55 PM.

Beans

wow. I feel like a new person after getting the workaround to go... spent 3 days trying every setting combo known to man to get this going... and here i am, working from boot from an all sata pc. yay.
    Specs: amd5200+, Gigabyte GA590SLI S5, 2gig ram, x1950pro, 5 sata Hdds, one sata Dvd drive.

I had the same problems trying to install / use the live cd no matter what settings i had my sata/ ide to (i get three options: treat sata as ide, sata in achi mode, and treat sata + ide as raid (this third option wasnt the fix, but was the only one that allowed me to get it going in the end).

To get the live cd going i pulled an old ide dvd burner from my old pc, that allowed me to run the live disk (if sata + ide was set to raid mode), but i couldnt install from the disk in this manner. BUT... this method of getting the live cd going worked one in 4 times... very very very frustrating... so you just need to try a few times from restarts and hard power offs... if that makes sense (am noob).

Once i got into the live cd thing, i managed to work out (after several tries) what disk my xp boot was on and where i was to install ubuntu... i had to watch out as my sata locations were changing every time i turned the pc on after modifying where things were plugged in or how the settings were (SCSI5 would become SCSI7 or SCSI11). I ran the install thing to a new drive, then hit ok to reset... No boot. same problem.

The system would get to the boot option screen, xp would be fine, but none of the ubuntu options were working, just got the SRST failed (er 16) thing.

To fix, i added 'all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll' to the end of the boot option. i had no idea what i was doing and was desperate.

But here i am, first thing i did in my new ubuntu install is come here and post about how helpful reading 20x pages of this thread was.

Cheers guys... made my week!

Specs that got it working: Raid mode (not sata = ide, or achi).
    putting 'all_generic_ide floppy=off irqpoll' after the boot option thing.

Good luck to anyone else who tries, and thanks once again to those who worked this out.

Beans

Exclamation Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

I have a ATA, burned CD at 2x but same problems

Beans

Smile Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Jaunty seems to fix these problems. At least it works well on my laptop and it boots super fast. Intrepid has been a horrible experience for me in my two PCs.

Jaunty is not super stable, but for an alpha 6 stage it's very usable. Try using it and report your experiences.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

That somehow scares me.

Try version X to fix problem Y.

Beans

Smile Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

It should not scare you. This problem seems to be a kernel bug or something. So a newer kernel means bug fixes, more drivers, support for many hardware etc. That's why I recommend using Jaunty to get past this problem. It worked on my laptop (Acer Aspire 5050-5410) and now it's working like a charm, it even boots as fast as a desktop pc, that wasn't possible with openSUSE or Fedora which never dropped me to the busybox screen but were extremely slow to boot, Ubuntu was worse because I had to type "exit" in the busybox screen in order to boot andthe whole process took the pc like 1 min 30secs.

Some times using older versions work too. Intrepid Ibex is unusable in my desktop pc but Hardy works perfectly.

I've been testing Jaunty and it also works perfectly, even better than Hardy! Jaunty's final release will kick major ***, because alpha 6 freaking rocks!

Beans

Lightbulb Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Hi guys, I think I found a solution to the BusyBox Screen of Death. I asked the guy to post it here but if he doesn't post it here I'll paste the link to the site I found it just in case.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/a_new...comment-134491

The title is: Ubuntu is looking for partition, not a disk

I don't have this problem any more since I'm using Jaunty but for those of you who want to use more stable versions of Ubuntu try it and report back.

Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast