Thread: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Beans

Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Great it works well to me. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I am having this problem with 9.04. This was working with 8.10 until I updated. Tried alot of things posted in here and so far nothing is working. Thoughts other than going back to 8.10?

Beans

Backport from r23074 from upstream to fix; go to:
    launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/+source/busybox/1:1.10.2-2ubuntu7
    I encountered this bug upgrading my desktop from 8.10 > 9.04 and it's at the initramfs line,
    could I download these fixes directly to its HDD using the commandline?
    Last edited by johnnyg2008; June 13th, 2009 at 01:56 PM. Reason: indirect URL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

My hat is off to velja27, post #388 in this series which pointed to the CD reader as the problem.

I have two internal CD units: Memorex DVD multi-recorder with lightscribe and Memorex CD recorder 52x24x52. XP installed using the DVD unit, but ubuntu 9.04 (CD from shipit.ubuntu.com) would not install and gave the cited Busy Box (initramfs) error message.

I switched the IDE cable to the CD 52x24x52 and 9.04 installed with no problem. I repeated the process of trying to install by switching the cable between the two units and verified the install problem relates to the hardware used for the installation.

However, since XP installs on either the DVD or CD unit, this shows a weakness in the 9.04 CD. Developers please take notice of this.

Beans

hi
    i ve got a the same problem,
    ive got a 120 gb sata drive connected to my laptop with 64bit vista installed, i also have a 500gb usb external hard drive. i have a fat32 partition on the external drive and have left 20 gb of free space unformatted on this drive.

i have installed 64bit ubuntu on the free 20gb on the usb hard drive
    /dev/sdb5
    and i noticed that the boot loader was installed on hd0.

o.k the funny thing is when i boot my system up i only get grub if i have the usb cable connected otherwise i get a "grub 27" error

my major source of frustacion is when i choose to boot ubuntu 9.04. the splash screen with orange bar moving left to right appers but after 30 seconds or so i get an initramfs and busybox. as shown in the pic below

i really hope some one can help me resolve this problem as i really need ubuntu!!!!!

Beans

ooohhh

i think the problem may be because ubantu is trying to boot from (hd1,4) as shown in the top left of the screenshot/photo sorry about the mega proportions.
    but i think it shoud be looking in (sdb,5) that would fix my problem

can some one direct me on how to accomplish this,

n.b i think this is why some peoples systems wont boot untill the bios is set to raid!!!!!
    (my primary drive is numbered hd0 and the usb/ubantu device is called sdb)
    Last edited by ovu; September 24th, 2009 at 09:59 PM.

Beans

My problem was my ide cable was bad

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Unhappy Re: initramfs + busybox trouble installing

Hi all!

I also am having trouble with initramfs and busybox. I haven't been able to get on Kubuntu 9.04 through GUI for about two weeks. I am able to exit initramfs to go to boot, but my GUI display dosen't get displayed leaving me with only a terminal access. This is very frustrating.

Beans

I've had this issue since 8.04. I've tried lots of other distros like Mandriva, Suse, Knoppix and Redhat. ALL HAVE THE SAME ISSUE. It's a kernel problem that's been going on for years now and nobody has addressed it.

Like a previous poster said, how many people have walked away from Linux because of this??????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by kannedheat View Post
    Hi all!

I also am having trouble with initramfs and busybox. I haven't been able to get on Kubuntu 9.04 through GUI for about two weeks. I am able to exit initramfs to go to boot, but my GUI display dosen't get displayed leaving me with only a terminal access. This is very frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by FranklinSt View Post
    I've had this issue since 8.04. I've tried lots of other distros like Mandriva, Suse, Knoppix and Redhat. ALL HAVE THE SAME ISSUE. It's a kernel problem that's been going on for years now and nobody has addressed it.

Like a previous poster said, how many people have walked away from Linux because of this??????
    I accept the below as true (from post #291 page 30) . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bertolo View Post
    hi all. in my university this bug is the number one bug of them all.
    it got nothing to do about the system just about the disc. i switched computer with the same hd and i got the same problem.

IMPORTANT NOTE: THE PROBLEM IS IN THE HD
    While I am still working and wondering what can be done with this SATA hard drive /dev/sda to
    get any live version of Fedora or Debian linux to boot . . .
    at least this Live Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64 on a USB has worked the best of all - and gets me this far on a sick laptop . . .

Code:
    (initramfs) help
    with this I can get a list of commands available with (initramfs) prompt . . . like pwd, ifconfig, uname, and some other commands for now . . .

and now I'll try this (from post #302 & 305 page 31) . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by andre805 View Post
    I deleted the word splash after pressing 'F6'. All I got after doing so was "Loading, Please Wait..." then it went back to the busybox prompt.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat13 View Post
    Taking out splash will simply remove the splash screen... taking out quiet will allow you to see the verbose print out of what is happening... won't fix any problem but will tell you where the problem is... because the system will show you where it is hanging before dropping to busybox...

Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 LastLast