Thread: ADSL wireless router

Beans

ADSL wireless router

I'm going to buy an ADSL wireless router to be used for a dual boot Windows XP and Ubuntu machine (connected over LAN) and a Windows XP laptop. I have a few questions:

1) Are there certain types of routers that are supported by Linux? For example, will it be safe to buy a DLink or Linksys device?

2) I have previously used a non-Wireless supporting router. I set up the connection as PPPoE and it didn't need installation on the OS (no drivers needed as PPPoE is supported by default). Is it going to be same if I use a wireless router?

Beans

Re: ADSL wireless router

I have used several wireless routers and I haven't encountered any Linux-specific problems. Ignore the setup disks and use the web page setup over a cable when you install.

Beans

That's exactly what I have done with non-Wireless devices. And that is exactly what happens when you use PPPoE.

Your answer was so relieving. Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!

Both the Wireless routers I've had didn't have any Linux-specific issues, and come with browser-based configuration pages. The main thing, if your router is a combination unit that has ADSL capabilities, is to find the settings your ISP prefers, including a user name and a password (not necessarily the same as the user name and password you'd use to log into the router)
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

I believe I also need the VCI and VPI numbers. Thanks anyways.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Depending on who your ISP is, it's often better to just use a dsl modem in bridged mode and use a separate wifi router to handle authentication & routing. Dsl-modem router combos are usually crap. It's easier to t-shoot connection issues when the hardware is separated. You can find used dsl modems for 10-20 bucks in papers or craigslist in US.