Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GIMP - Where It Fails...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Question GIMP - Where It Fails...

Okay, I've been browsing the forums for awhile, and I've noticed that a lot of people say that GIMP falls short of needed work for professional photographers and a few other mediums. I'd like to see some specifics, here, as I only tend to encounter vague generalities.

I in no way shape or form represent or have the attention of the GIMP development team, but I am always curious to see what can be improved.

So, let's get specific here: where does GIMP fail you, and (if applicable) why?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: GIMP - Where It Fails...

It doesn't fail me...except I like inkscapes user interface better.
    If that was an option it would be sweet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I think for professional photographers who send items to commercial printing firms, GIMP does not output the appropriate colour profiling, or something of that kind. For most, if not all amateur and casual users, it is more than adequate, with most of us probably using only a small percentage of its capabilities. I think it is the best, though I did take a while to get used to the unusual multi-window interface and menu set up. Once you've done that it is soooo powerful!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by days_of_ruin View Post
    It doesn't fail me...except I like inkscapes user interface better.
    If that was an option it would be sweet.
    How would that work? Inkscape is a vector application and GIMP is a raster one.

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    I think for professional photographers who send items to commercial printing firms, GIMP does not output the appropriate colour profiling, or something of that kind
    That would be CMYK, GIMP only does RGB. That has always been a major complaint. Some other things where alternatives are better such as non-destructive editing (which I believe it set to be in a future version of GIMP)
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Interesting stuff so far.

@days_of_ruin
    I'm curious to know how Inkscape could possibly influence the GIMP in interface, except maybe for an all-in-one resizable window like Inkscape has. Is that what you mean?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

For me GIMP has some major issues dealing with very large pictures. On my computer it appears to have a limit of 3Gb for memory for the Tile cache size. I have one or two art pieces that are ridiculous sizes & values (1200dpi and reasonably large) that in Photoshop takes up 10Gb of swap. This picture fails epically under GIMP. I can't open it.

Another one I have is a 400Mb tiff file (based of the 1200dpi image) which opens okay, except I can't actually do anything to the image. That is, if I change the colours and then try and save the changes, the tiff writer fails claiming its out of memory.

These are the primary issues I have with GIMP.

Having said that, for anything reasonably sized (e.g, less than 50-60mb for the picture file), I use GIMP without any hassles. Oh, I have 2Gb of ram and about 1Tb of free space just for reference sake.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by peitschie View Post
    For me GIMP has some major issues dealing with very large pictures. On my computer it appears to have a limit of 3Gb for memory for the Tile cache size. I have one or two art pieces that are ridiculous sizes & values (1200dpi and reasonably large) that in Photoshop takes up 10Gb of swap. This picture fails epically under GIMP. I can't open it.

Another one I have is a 400Mb tiff file (based of the 1200dpi image) which opens okay, except I can't actually do anything to the image. That is, if I change the colours and then try and save the changes, the tiff writer fails claiming its out of memory.

These are the primary issues I have with GIMP.

Having said that, for anything reasonably sized (e.g, less than 50-60mb for the picture file), I use GIMP without any hassles. Oh, I have 2Gb of ram and about 1Tb of free space just for reference sake.
    I didn't know it maxed out at 3 GB... that would be a bit of a short-coming in pro design.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm actually a little intruiged as to where that limit actually comes from. I couldn't find any documentation justifying the limit anywhere...

I found this link about the Tile Cache... but again. It makes no assertions or even hints that this 3Gb limit exists: http://www.gimp.org/unix/howtos/tile_cache.html
    Last edited by peitschie; May 14th, 2008 at 03:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I'm curious as well, as I've only got 1GB of RAM, so I know it's not a function of the RAM available on the computer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Xfcn View Post
    Okay, I've been browsing the forums for awhile, and I've noticed that a lot of people say that GIMP falls short of needed work for professional photographers and a few other mediums. I'd like to see some specifics, here, as I only tend to encounter vague generalities.

I in no way shape or form represent or have the attention of the GIMP development team, but I am always curious to see what can be improved.

So, let's get specific here: where does GIMP fail you, and (if applicable) why?
    Let me see
    Full 16/32 bit support
    User interface way below todays standards
    Plugins/Actions
    Printing
    Addons
    Better marketing (when was the last time you read about Gimp in any Professional Photography magazine like ProPhoto)
    Has Gimp innovated on anything. Is their anything that Gimp does that Photoshop doesn't.

You also need to ask why the pros use Photoshop. What highend capabilities does it have that the competition doesn't. Check out Lightroom. The majority of professionals are beginning to use that more than Photoshop for organizing thousands of photos. And then Photoshop mainly for enhanced editing. Look at all the addons that can be purchased for Photoshop. Just read a good Photography magazine and you will see.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast