Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: GIMP - Where It Fails...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: GIMP - Where It Fails...

hi, i saw some misinfo about GIMP, afaik:

- Gimp is support CMYK but to use it we must install Separate+ plugin, can get it at: http://cue.yellowmagic.info/softwares/separate.html
    if you have tried to install it and failed to use it that because Separate+ need ICC color profile that NOT supplied by default at all Linux distro, so you need to download it from internet, try to search at Google: "adobe icc color profile", yes it's free to download it and use it.

- If you processing BIG image then maybe you can consider to resize/create bigger SWAP file or move your SWAP to different partition to improve its performance, this because Linux depend on this SWAP file/partition as Virtual Memory even if your RAM is big.

- I saw some features list that stated not supported by GIMP actually can be replaced by plugins or scripts but you need to search it at Internet and install it by yourself.

This is the most important features that i think is BIG missing from GIMP:
    - Layer folder (create massive layer effects is disaster but this feature will be implemented after GEGL finish)
    - 16 bit (really useful for photographer that use RAW or for processing HDR image, this is GEGL what for)
    - Layer adjustment (implement image/color/effect adjustment without destroy original image and can be change the parameters anytime)
    - Brush manager (for now for add new brush we must copy it manually to GIMP brush folder and also there is no brush categories)
    - Plugin manager (for install new brush we must copy the plugin file to GIMP plugin folder, i think PS users also do it manually but we want GIMP better than PS, right? )
    - Image Browser (for now we depend on external image management program like Digikam or Picasa)

actually there is many small things that can be improved on GIMP but this is the most missing point i think.
    Last edited by gimphoto; August 31st, 2008 at 11:07 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gimphoto View Post
    - Layer folder (create massive layer effects is disaster but this feature will be implemented after GEGL finish)
    This is more dependent on GIMP actually -- see what I said above about OpenRaster.

- 16 bit (really useful for photographer that use RAW or for processing HDR image, this is GEGL what for)
    Also for painting. Painting in 8bit sRGB just doesn't work; Painting in 8bit scRGB (linear rgb) destroys detail as things get darker; 16bit scRGB is a sensible painting format. (painting in 16bit sRGB is just silly.)

- Brush manager (for now for add new brush we must copy it manually to GIMP brush folder and also there is no brush ca tegories)
    Aurimas Juska implemented resource tagging as a Google SoC 2008 project for GIMP. It's quite likely this will end up in GIMP 2.8.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Does anyone know when this will happen? Do I dare hope for it in 2.8?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sennep View Post
    Does anyone know when this will happen? Do I dare hope for it in 2.8?
    It's in the 2.5.x version now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Left View Post
    It's in the 2.5.x version now.
    Sweet

Beans

hi, i saw some misinfo about GIMP, afaik:

- Gimp is support CMYK but to use it we must install Separate+ plugin, can get it at: http://cue.yellowmagic.info/softwares/separate.html
    if you have tried to install it and failed to use it that because Separate+ need ICC color profile that NOT supplied by default at all Linux distro, so you need to download it from internet, try to search at Google: "adobe icc color profile", yes it's free to download it and use it.

- If you processing BIG image then maybe you can consider to resize/create bigger SWAP file or move your SWAP to different partition to improve its performance, this because Linux depend on this SWAP file/partition as Virtual Memory even if your RAM is big.

- I saw some features list that stated not supported by GIMP actually can be replaced by plugins or scripts but you need to search it at Internet and install it by yourself.

- Layer adjustment (implement image/color/effect adjustment without destroy original image and can be change the parameters anytime)
    - Brush manager (for now for add new brush we must copy it manually to GIMP brush folder and also there is no brush categories)
    - Plugin manager (for install new brush we must copy the plugin file to GIMP plugin folder, i think PS users also do it manually but we want GIMP better than PS, right? )
    - Image Browser (for now we depend on external image management program like Digikam or Picasa)

actually there is many small things that can be improved on GIMP but this is the most missing point i think.
    Urm 2 things with this
    1 did you look in the options? there a pannels for specyfying *.icc profiles for import/print/export.
    2, profiles are given buried in windows printer driver installers and its taken me 2 years to get my HP 8450 profiles (2 years to find out they were hiding in the windows spoiler folder .

Do people even explore gimp before moaning about function?

Beans

You can get your monitor ICC profile from your manufactures website, it usually comes with the windows driver like mine in a zip.

Then you can use this in gimp for proper colour profile when you import a image and it will convert it to your colour profile.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Swenghk View Post
    I completelyquit using GIMP and used Blender, even for 2D creations, and using the Bezier Tool is much easier.
    How in tarnation do you use blender to do 2d stuff? Show me some stuff you've done, I find this interesting.

One major failure in gimp for me, is like when I have an image I want to make larger, if the dpi is low to begin with, I can't get a clean looking picture when I enlarge it. I always have extreme "pixelization".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Left View Post
    You can get your monitor ICC profile from your manufactures website, it usually comes with the windows driver like mine in a zip.

Then you can use this in gimp for proper colour profile when you import a image and it will convert it to your colour profile.
    Lucky you, mine are hidden in thoose damn exe installer files, not seperate file

Quote Originally Posted by BLTicklemonster View Post
    How in tarnation do you use blender to do 2d stuff? Show me some stuff you've done, I find this interesting.

One major failure in gimp for me, is like when I have an image I want to make larger, if the dpi is low to begin with, I can't get a clean looking picture when I enlarge it. I always have extreme "pixelization".
    First point, alot of talented artist do because they get better colur/profile/shadows.
    Secound point - every piece of software I've use is like that.
    PSP, PS, Gimp, Paint.net, mspaint, etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks alphanumeric person. Irfanview is good with blowing stuff up and smoothing them over, I just got spoiled using it when making larger images out of small ones.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast