Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Backup using Rsync to NTFS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

HOWTO: Backup using Rsync to NTFS

Problem: You have all your data in ubuntu in ext3 file format. Using standard rsync tools do not work effectively because permissions of files/folders cannot be carried over to ntfs systems. Also ntfs systems have various "glitches" that cause backing up an ext3 system a problem. I have managed to find the ideal solution to backup:
    a) COMPLETE hard drive to NTFS
    b) COMPLETE hard drive (minus massive music folder) to EXT3
    c) Essential documents to NTFS (pendrive)

For this tutorial I will show you the essential elements of backing up for a)

Rsync basically can check the destination data and see if any changes have been made in the source data so that ONLY the source data that has been changed is updated. VERY useful.

BackUp all folders to external NTFS Hard Drive.

For the purposes of this tutorial I assume the following:
    1. User name: bob (so home folder is /home/bob/)
    2. External hard drive is mounted at: /media/harddrive/

So, first of all its always a good idea to create a folder inside of your external hard drive before backing up:
    Code:
    mkdir /media/harddrive/backup
    So, now we are going to be making the backup bash script. I prefer making a script as the command is quite long. First we need to make a folder to store the script in (so it is easier to access).
    Code:
    mkdir bash
    Then we must create the bash script:
    Code:
    cd bash
    gedit backupBIG.sh
    I call it backupBIG.sh so as to differentiate it from another backup for c)

In this text file put the following in:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

sudo rsync -rltDvu --modify-window=1 --progress --delete --delete-excluded --exclude-from=/home/bob/Bash/BackupBigExclude.txt / /media/harddrive/backup
    Explanation of commands:
    rsync:this is the program used to sync the data. Rsync basically can check the destination data and see if any changes have been made in the source data so that ONLY the source data that has been changed is updated. VERY useful.

-r: copies directories recursively
    -l: copies symlinks as symlinks
    -t: preserves modification times
    -D: preserves device and special files
    -v: shows output (verbose)
    -u: skips files that are newer at the destination

--modify-window=1
    : this is ESSENTIAL. Basically in windows filesystems time is kept in even numbers (or some such problem). This command tells rsync to ignore filechanges that are only 1 second in difference from the original. It is almost impossible that you will create a file, sync it, and in ONE second make a change and want to sync it again. So it is safe to use this option and it means that rsync will not back up everything every time simply because of a one second change.

--progress
    : simply shows the progress

--delete
    : this is important. Basically rsync syncs files that have been changed. But what if you delete a file from the source directory? This command deletes it from your backed up hard drive as well.

--delete-excluded
    : this deletes folder/files that you have specifically excluded.

--exclude-from=/home/bob/Bash/BackupBigExclude.txt: this is the other crucial command. This basically tells rsync to exclude the files/folders found in the list BackupBigExlude.txt. To create this list do the following:
    Code:
    gedit /home/bob/Bash/BackupBigExclude.txt
    Now in the text editor it is ENTIRELY upto you what you want to exlcude.

This is my list:
    Code:
    /home/bob/MyDownloads
    /home/bob/.VirtualBox
    /lost+found
    /media
    /mnt
    /proc
    /sys
    /tmp
    Since I am backing up from my root directory, I am not backing up the transient or temporary folders (/media, /mnt, /proc, /tmp, /sys, /lost+found). I am not backing up my /MyDownloads directory as I download a lot of files/data some of which I do not want to backup. and I am not backing up my .VirtualbBox directory as its a massive 2gb file that will update every time I log into VB, a waste of time/resources.

Here are some other hints/tips for the exclude command file:
    1. To exclude hidden directories (all the directories that start with .) do: /home/bob/.*/
    2. To exclude hidden files (all the files that start with .) do: /home/bob/.*
    3. If you are only backing up from your home directory (that is, /home/bob/) and NOT as we are backing up here from the root directory (that is, /), the exclude command files must start from the /home/bob/. So for example to exclude the MyDownloads folder you would simply put this in the exclude file: MyDownloads. (WITHOUT the complete link /home/bob/MyDownloads). This is complicated but if you need further assistance please comment.

I am no expert with the exclude command but these settings worked to exclude those files for me.

locations:
    finally the / and /media/harddrive/backup tells the script where to backup from (/) and where to backup to.

There are numerous other settings/commands you can use, including compression, etc. My method is simply to have a place where I can access all my data with minimal hassle (I find uncompressing a hassle, especially if I have enough space for full data backup).

Suffice to say these commands are quite technical, but they all work for me. Notice nowhere here do I tell it to preserve permissions as these will not work if you are copying to an ntfs system.
    For more information on rsync commands see http://www.samba.org/ftp/rsync/rsync.html.

Save the files.

Now open a terminal and type the following:
    Code:
    cd /home/bob/Bash
    sh BackupBig.sh
    This should run the backup, it may take a long time depending on how much data you have.

NB: Make sure you take care when changing any settings. If you are unsure please ask. In fact don't even change the location without first confirming.

For example, You want to backup /home/bob/ to backup /media/harddrive/ and you have lets say data x.txt, y.txt, z.txt on /media/harddrive/. If you do not create a separate folder all data on /media/harddrive will be erased. SO BE CAREFUL!

Re: HOWTO: Backup using Rsync to NTFS

Moved to Tutorials and Tips.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thanks, I'm just always in the Absolute Beginner forum and I keep posting there!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Just a suggestion:
    add 'p' to the flags to preserve permissions.
    Sanus|artificium - FREE VST plug-ins | Music | Web design | Graphics | Sound engineering | Software | Tutorials | PHP scripts and more ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by sanus|art View Post
    Just a suggestion:
    add 'p' to the flags to preserve permissions.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but like I have already mentioned, this is SPECIFICALLY for backing upto NTFS, which will NOT support permissions. When I backup to my EXT3 I simply use -a (which includes most of the useful flags).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by abhiroopb View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, but like I have already mentioned, this is SPECIFICALLY for backing upto NTFS, which will NOT support permissions. When I backup to my EXT3 I simply use -a (which includes most of the useful flags).
    I am not sure, but I am using it with '-a and -z' for archive and compress mode to NTFS (mounted trough smbmount) and I think permissions are preserved as I recovered '/etc/apache2' at Sunday. Here are my comand:
    Code:
    sudo rsync --force --log-file=/var/log/rsync-system.log --progress --delete --exclude=/lost+found/ --exclude=/media/ --exclude=/cdrom/ --exclude=/mnt/ --exclude=/proc/ --exclude=/root/.thumbnails/ --exclude=/root/.Trash/ --exclude=/sys/ --exclude=/home/ --exclude=/tmp/ --delete-excluded -avzlp / /media/XP/BACK_SYSTEM
    Sanus|artificium - FREE VST plug-ins | Music | Web design | Graphics | Sound engineering | Software | Tutorials | PHP scripts and more ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by sanus|art View Post
    I am not sure, but I am using it with '-a and -z' for archive and compress mode to NTFS (mounted trough smbmount) and I think permissions are preserved as I recovered '/etc/apache2' at Sunday. Here are my comand:
    Code:
    sudo rsync --force --log-file=/var/log/rsync-system.log --progress --delete --exclude=/lost+found/ --exclude=/media/ --exclude=/cdrom/ --exclude=/mnt/ --exclude=/proc/ --exclude=/root/.thumbnails/ --exclude=/root/.Trash/ --exclude=/sys/ --exclude=/home/ --exclude=/tmp/ --delete-excluded -avzlp / /media/XP/BACK_SYSTEM
    Ah I see. The thing is if you compress it permissions can be preserved, but then you are stuck with (in my case) a massive 30-50gb file. I'd rather have all the files, as I have an EXT3 backup which preserves all the permissions anyway. Again to reiterate, if you backup with the -a or -p flags (or any other permission related flags) on an NTFS drive you'll be getting errors after while backing up. And permissions will not be preserved.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by abhiroopb View Post
    ... then you are stuck with (in my case) a massive 30-50gb file ...
    Why is that? The compression is zlib!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well I backup my 40gb music collection which does not compress at all (mp3 is already a compressed format).

Beans
    Distro

I'm not sure what you mean, but my real '/home' is 1..6GB of size, while rsynced '/home' on the backup is 756MB. zlib is 'per-file' compression - so you can't see it visually like tar or zip (at least for my knowledge).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast