Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: k3b 'device in use' message

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

k3b 'device in use' message

I keep getting this pop up when trying to burn an audiocd in k3b:

Attachment 75229

The only apps I have open beside k3b are firefox, nautilus, terminal, gedit, maybe mail and a couple of others (non-multimedia). I have to hit continue at each step. I don't want to hit 'quit other apps' because I need them open. There must be a daemon that's causing this, I think. But which one?

Never encountered this gutsy
    Last edited by logos34; August 10th, 2008 at 02:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: k3b 'device in use' message

bump.

Still looking for an answer to what 'gvfsd-cdda' daemon is. Actually, I hit 'quit other apps' and it appeared to kill just the gvfsd-cdda, not the other apps, and, voila, no more message. So how to disable permanently? Also, when I look in system monitor, I still see three others: gvfsd, gvfsd-burn, gvfsd-trash. ???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Did you finally found out what this gvfsd-cdda is?
    I get the same message when I'm trying to rip my music.
    I hit "Quit the other applications" and everything works smoothly.
    But I have to hit the same option in every music CD I'm trying to rip.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Nope, still get the darn message, but at least quit other apps kills it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Bumpy. Does anyone know what it is. It appears that K3B is the only app that tells me that it is using it. Brasero just hangs. Also, is there a way to have more than one application use the CD Drive (similar to the way you can with the sound card)?

Beans

In researching my own cd burning problems, I discovered a post that said that Nautilus locks up whatever it takes to burn a cd, and there's a fix for it. Sorry I can't be more specific, but I've read 1000s of web pages about cd burning recently.

Beans

Did you finally found out what this gvfsd-cdda is
    That's the location of audio cds in hardy, and while i don't have k3b I saw similar behavior when working on getting amarok to auto play cds. (another kde app?)
    When i first tried a 'normal' method to have amarok autoplay a cd, while it would start up it was unable to access the cd. Even after a little tweaking allowed access the result was a disaster.
    The main reason was it was using the location (home/<username>/.gvfs/.. ) as the device. (and then unfortunately having it's default device changed to that). I'm thinking that maybe some kde apps are having a little difficulty with the new way audio cds are 'treated' in hardy.

The way I found to have Amarok work properly as the default (autoplay) player I don't think would translate well to k3b, but possibly this is an 'explanation'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

whatever that 'gvfs-cdda' is ('gnome virtual file system daemon'??), it's gone away, perhaps fixed by a recent update.

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    That's the location of audio cds in hardy, and while i don't have k3b I saw similar behavior when working on getting amarok to auto play cds. (another kde app?)
    When i first tried a 'normal' method to have amarok autoplay a cd, while it would start up it was unable to access the cd. Even after a little tweaking allowed access the result was a disaster.
    The main reason was it was using the location (home/<username>/.gvfs/.. ) as the device. (and then unfortunately having it's default device changed to that). I'm thinking that maybe some kde apps are having a little difficulty with the new way audio cds are 'treated' in hardy.

The way I found to have Amarok work properly as the default (autoplay) player I don't think would translate well to k3b, but possibly this is an 'explanation'
    I am having a similar problem getting amarok to look up the cdda info for cds...Usually the drive makes a lot of sound and fury before abandoning the attempt and printing 'track#' for each...It plays the cd but that's it. Maybe we've talked about this, not sure.

I've checked the amarok settings and even the config file in the kde folder. But even if I can get it to fetch track titles like it should (and BTW it does the album covers fine), the spin up noise is really annoying (again, no settings in the config file seem to fix it)

Beans

same problem here but I an using intrepid gnome kernel 27.10
    SO the hardy fix did not transfer to intrepid???
    If I tell k3b to kill the application (gvfsd-cdda) it tries and then says error encoding track and spits the cd out...
    will keep trawling...unless someone has a workaround

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Kevrox View Post
    same problem here but I an using intrepid gnome kernel 27.10
    SO the hardy fix did not transfer to intrepid???
    If I tell k3b to kill the application (gvfsd-cdda) it tries and then says error encoding track and spits the cd out...
    will keep trawling...unless someone has a workaround

Same problem here. Trying to use K3b to rip an audio CD, and keep getting this message. Killing gvfsd-cdda doesn't work. Anyone?

/Kevin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast