Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Canon PIXMA ip1800 Installation Issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Canon PIXMA ip1800 Installation Issue

Hello, I a new linux user. I have read this post but frankly, I got lost. The instructions have been changing as new issues arise. Would some one make a summary with the current instructions to make ip1800 to work on 8.10? Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi,
    Just download the to files in post #12.

http://nko.computers.googlepages.com...386-hardy..deb

http://nko.computers.googlepages.com....70-2_i386.deb

Then go to the terminal at 'Applications>Accessories>Terminal and past in the line below [Taken from post 18]

sudo ln -s /etc/init.d/cups /etc/init.d/cupsys

press enter, you will be asked for your password ( Note: when you type it in, it will stay blank)

Now go back to the .deb files you downloaded, right click you mouse, then press 'Install package' Do this with both downloaded files.

Reboot with your printer switched on.

Now you should be able to use your printer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks Paul,
    for this easy to follow instructions.
    Printer is working as expected.
    Regards.

Beans

Thanks to Malta paul for your help. Following your post did the trick. I've spent way too much time trying to get my ip1800 working. I've worked in the MS Windows world for years and have been trying out Ubuntu to see if it's an alternative for my computing needs. I like much of what I see in Ubuntu, but it still amazes me how difficult it is to get various devices to work. I've also spent a lot of time getting my video card and monitor to work properly. I can see why many users just give up and go back to Windows. However, I'll keep plugging away at it. Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mdille View Post
    Thanks to Malta paul for your help. Following your post did the trick. I've spent way too much time trying to get my ip1800 working. I've worked in the MS Windows world for years and have been trying out Ubuntu to see if it's an alternative for my computing needs. I like much of what I see in Ubuntu, but it still amazes me how difficult it is to get various devices to work. I've also spent a lot of time getting my video card and monitor to work properly. I can see why many users just give up and go back to Windows. However, I'll keep plugging away at it. Thanks again.
    Hey! Stick with it!

I converted my home computers (and my family) to Ubuntu about 6 months ago, and I honestly believe its a more stable system than the expensive alternatives. The main desktop apps that most people seem to use (in our case; Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office, Gimp, SMPlayer & Skype) work very well.

Some peripherals are a problem to get going because the manufacturers don't provide the same level of support that they do for Windows. So when my iP1800 eventually dies, I won't be looking to Canon to provide a replacement. That said, its working fine with Linux thanks to the support available from these forums.

Although I've invested a few hours getting the system running the way I want it, my family just use it. I think their main complaint is when they can't access a memory stick after switching users. But I spend far less time sorting out their problems now, than I did when we were running XP.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

thanks gyus, Canon IP1800 worked for me on kubuntu interpid 8.10 after 7 hours on installing x).
    actually i crossed all the forums regarding this problem. Mostly there was described the hardy driver instalation, while on interpid it was failing for some dependencies(mainly for libxml1 that i could not install)

now i downloaded the drivers with the dependeces edited and instaled them. the printer works also with colors, not only grayscale

just to corect Malta paul´s post, as the links seem to be broken. copy the packages from post #12:

http://nko.computers.googlepages.com...386-hardy..deb

http://nko.computers.googlepages.com....70-2_i386.deb
    Last edited by katrotz; January 31st, 2009 at 02:33 AM. Reason: added the links

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

My IP1800 is now working under intrepid with n'ko's drivers and putting a symbolic link for cupsys thank you! wahey!

Beans

Just came across your post. I went through something similar a while back trying to get the printer to run on 64bit. Just out of curiosity, are you running 32 or 64 bit?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Canon IP1800 works fantastically on Ubuntu 8.10 (32BIT & 64 BIT). I have not run the printer on Ubuntu 9.04. Does anyone managed to run it on the latest system?

Beans

Wink Re: Canon PIXMA ip1800 Installation Issue

hello all, I've read through all of the posts on this thread as well as others however all i get when i send the test print is Processing-Remote host did not accept data file(1).
    My setup:
    I'm running intreped with all of the updates
    im trying to share the printer with my desktop and my parents Vista machine
    (note: the printer is plugged into the Vista Machine through a usb cable)
    I followed mostly these steps, as well as ones found within the forums here-
    http://www.swerdna.net.au/linhowtosambaprint.html
    and im using Jakes modified Driver for the printer

I'am also fairly new to the ubuntu coding but i think i've got the basics down any and all help i can get would be appreciated;post here or email me at:
    Jcc.993@gmail.com

Thanks,
    Jerm

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast