Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HP C5280 - CD printing work?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

HP C5280 - CD printing work?

Has anyone got printing to CD working with one of the HP C5280 printers?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Re: HP C5280 - CD printing work?

According to this entry at the openprinting database it's working "perfectly". Have you tried to install the printer and hplip?
    Good site to search for guides & how-tos.

Beans
    Distro

thanks for the link. i haven't bought the printer yet, wanted to check on the cd printing before buying it. i was able to find a fedora forum thread where a couple people were working on getting margins correct on the cd printing on this printer, so at only $114US for the printer, I'll probably go ahead and get it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have one myself and it works flawlessly.

The problem with printing to CD/DVD's is most applications have difficulty selecting the cd tray.

The only one I have come across so far that works out of the box is OpenOffice.

I made a template after a lot of trial and error and not to mention a dozen or so printed cd's to get the margins "fairly right", it's good enough and gets the job done.

If you'd like the template drop me a line, it's made in OpenOffice Draw, I generally create artwork in Inkscape and import it into OODraw.

Beans
    Distro

pm sent. thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thanks. I also use an HP C5280, set the printer tray settings in System/Administration/Printing and am at present working with an OO word template I found here that may help with precision
    Last edited by Tang; August 6th, 2008 at 02:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro

thanks for all the help. i bought a c5280 this weekend at sams club ($89US, great price), and will hopefully have time to hook it up in a couple days and try it out.

Beans
    Distro

i couldn't resist trying out the printer tonight, so here's what I did to get it to work:

1 - start out with deanjm1963 template for openoffice draw
    2 - fiddle with it a little and here's the settings I use (it's almost perfect):

Format -> Page
    Width: 4.72 inches (120mm)
    Height: 4.72 inches (120mm)
    Margins: Left: .12 inches, right: .20 inches, Top: .02 inches, Bottom: .25 inches

Then I add a picture (I used the ubuntu cd cover art by a few different people as a test), and right-click on the picture, and set Position and Size to: Position X: 0.00, Position Y: 0.00, Width: 4.62 inches, Height: 4.62 inches.

The i go to print, and change the printer properties to: Paper Size: CD or DVD (120mm) and Paper Tray to CD or DVD tray.

Now if I someone could tell me how to print in openoffice with zero margins, maybe i could get this absolutely perfect, as it is, there is a very very slight margin all the way around the artwork.

Beans

If you have photoshop you could always try grabbing a cd printing template provided by one of the duplication companies

Beans
    Distro

it worked fine with 8.10 (openoffice 2.x), but it's broken in 9.04 (with openoffice 3.0). great.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast