Thread: [SOLVED] Questionable Infraction and poor follow up.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Exclamation [SOLVED] Questionable Infraction and poor follow up.

HI I have received an infraction and a weeks moderation of all posts after I posted a disgruntled post concerning a lack of support from a manufacturer in connection to one of their boards and a use of linux.

The following responses and interactions have given rise to a feeling of disharmoney and scepticism as to how moderation occurs and is open to subjective opinion and agendas.

I am sure a look at my posts in total will show I do not subscribe to profanity, trolling or flame wars but this was a legitimate posting regarding dissatisfaction with a product and its relationship to Linux in general. The title did not mask the content.

My issues are.
    1) The infractions justification.
    on the basis of language..

The questionable words were Crap, (250 post current active post inc. this)
    ****** (249 current posts)
    **** (250 posts current)
    F.wit (unabbreviated) 1 post active
    Anus 15 posts

My Avatar surely subjective, The image is not in anyway worthy of censorship. Still not sure of the grounds eroticism she is wearing clothes. Spirituality or religious concern she is symbolising the devil horns and the Tux is sporting a wand and hogwarts coat of arms?

2) The single handed avenue of moderation, my next posting, which YES identified in sarcastic overtones the censorship was then itself moderated by the moderator I have the issue with.

I am at a loss for how this identifies Ubuntu Forums as being a subjective Draconian authority under the guise of being PC and is has shaken this normally calm and softly spoken individual to a reactionary stance.

Ubuntu should be open to challenge and appraisal in its forums, moderators are certainly not above subjectivity or error, and if the post (which I still think is fine) is dubious in their eyes a holding a discussion could take place prior to infraction and penalties. Of course if it is blatant abuse, racism,sexism,phyisical hostility or personal then this would require exceptional status.

As a whole I have been delighted with the forums, the moderation and eclectisism of these forums but this is a major issue drawn to my attention by a small incident.

Look forward to appraisel review and conclusion.

Nigel
    Nigel Lian-Li, Core 2 e8400,4gb Ballsitix tracer, 2x dell 1905fp, 2x Asus 7800gt, 2x asus dvdrw 20X
    "The Day Microsoft make something that doesn't suck...is the day they make Vacuum cleaners."

Beans

Re: Questionable Infraction and poor follow up.

With regards to the infractions /warnings

I support the decision of staff to issue these and see no reason to alter them

With regards to you avatar

I have not seen the offending avatar so I am not in a position to comment. If you would like to send me the image per private message I will have a look at it
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro

Then I afraid the reputation of this forums moderation is worth very little. There is no answering of my post just another my word is law, Why do you uphold the decision to dish out a penalty? What is so offensive in it?
    I am sorry but this is an insufficient reply to my detailed post. My Avatar is lost to me since deletion I did it ages ago on another formatted box, didn't expect I'd need it! So it is deleted for one mans subjective review?

Go the Wallabies tonight (Yes that'll probably get me a slap too.
    I have no recourse but to accept your half baked decision.

nigel
    Nigel Lian-Li, Core 2 e8400,4gb Ballsitix tracer, 2x dell 1905fp, 2x Asus 7800gt, 2x asus dvdrw 20X
    "The Day Microsoft make something that doesn't suck...is the day they make Vacuum cleaners."

Beans

Your posts that recieved the infractions were breaking the rules of the community. The use of inappropriate languge is clearly defined in the code of conduct.

"

1. Be respectful of all users at all times. This means please use etiquette and politeness. Treat people with kindness and gentleness. If you do this the rest of the code of conduct won't need more than a cursory mention.
    2. Respect the forum staff. We provide a service in our free time to keep the forums running efficiently. We will occasionally ask for input, but in some cases we will not, please respect our decisions. Also, we do edit for content, if you have an issue with our moderation, please open a request in the forum resolution center.
    3. Profanity: Remember that the forums are used by people of all age groups and of all tolerance levels regarding profanity usage. When in the support areas of the forum, please try to keep your language polite and courteous and refrain from the usage of profanities. In the Cafe and Backyard areas, mild profanity/swearing is allowed in the context of general speech. Explicit profanity/swearing is not allowed, and under no circumstances will we allow any profanity to be directed toward another person. Please see the Ubuntu Code of Conduct's requirements to "Be Considerate" and to "Be Respectful" and the descriptions given there for more exact specifications. A language filter is in place to catch any profanities that you may have accidentally used. Do not attempt to circumvent the language filter by using variations or slight misspellings of profanities."

The above quote will stand as explanation.
    Last edited by KiwiNZ; July 26th, 2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: typo correction

Beans
    Distro

Dear Kiwi,
    Yes indeed and I agree with that. I wasn't being inpolite to anyone but an organisation whose action or inactions may indeed effect the community that I strive to assist and support.
    There is an inconsistancy also as I pointed out there are many many examples of similar words used throughout the forums without reprimand or comment. The words I used are hardly Hard profanity.
    So once again what was SO sensitive in that particular post compared to the hundreds that use similar language and how do you explain the inconsistancy?
    I have until this point and still will I should imagine respect the fantastic effort and support that the moderators and forum members have and do perform, but not enough to let it slip such a singular act of action toward myself.
    Your answer also with all due respect didn't explain this or why indeed there wasn't communication before penalty, a warning, a request but a repromand.
    It is this I have more of an issue with, the avatar which you haven't seen and that I have now lost was a subjective cherry that fueled my opinion of incorrect appraisal.

If I truly was to be inpolite I would have commented about the game of Rugby but I didn't...LOL (Please see that for what it was a simple joke)

Nigel

Beans

OK I can appreciate the Australian and New Zealand culture where the use of profanity is used a lot . It is part of our way of life.

I know , my wife is always , umm correcting me on it.

But on these forums it is not allowed.

However given that you have seen examples of it used you may well have thought it was okay, because of that if the other Council members agree and the Staff member who issued the infractions I am prepared to reduce these in this instant to warnings.

Oh and the Wallabies deserved the win , the All Blacks were terrible

Beans
    Distro

Thank you Kiwi,
    I am glad and my confidance is restored. I shall make a clean comment about my dissatisfaction with ASUS and their lack of support. I was just outraged at their stance and viewed the foxcomm posts at the same time.

Thank you for your time and consideration n this matter, which as I said was so small.

Oh and yes the all blacks weren't there best, not sure it was a coaching issue but too many mistakes, originally a pom I played union and always had a soft spot for the all blacks but now I'm an Australian and its green and gold all the way. Should make for a good series, so good luck (but not too much,,,lol)
    Thanks Again

Nigel

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Questionable Infraction and poor follow up.

All done

and all the best

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    if the other Council members agree and the Staff member who issued the infractions I am prepared to reduce these in this instant to warnings.
    For the record, I am fine with the reduction to a warning. I issued the infraction being complained about, and probably overreacted a little bit. Let's both attempt to be more moderate (me and hogwartsnigel).
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!