Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [SOLVED] Asus K8V-MX, 8.04, No Sound

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Asus K8V-MX, 8.04, No Sound

Hmmm....if you have Alsa in the selection box in System>Pref>Sound, then something must be wrong with Alsa. I have seen others with similar problems correct it by installing ALSA from source. But two things first. Try uninstalling and then reinstalling ALSA. Go to Synaptic Package Manager and select Alsa-base for reinstallation. Try that before trying to install from source. The is system is doing all it is supposed to with regard to your card, so, unless someone else chimes in and suggests something different, it appears that something is out of whack with ALSA. Also, study the following:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting

It does not appear to be hardware since they work in Win and Mac.
    Bob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hmm! I removed and reinstalled all the ALSA modules with Synaptic instead of just Alsa-base. That didn't go down too well.. the machine crashed and won't come up in GUI mode so I;m trying to get it back up. My fault for not reading your suggestion carefully.GC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Not sure what you removed, but if you can get into a terminal login with networking just reinstall the gnome-desktop.

sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop
    You may have inadvertently removed some desktop components when you removed the mdoule. I had only intended that you reinstall alsa-base.
    Bob

Beans
    Distro

I had to reinstall but that gave me the opportunity to make a clean start. I worked my way through the troubleshooting guide with no luck so I reported this is a possible bug. It's interesting, Aplay and lspci show that the via 8237 is recognized. I also went back and looked at the BIOS and sound isn't disabled there. I also noticed that I could get one channel from the earphone jack on the front panel. So I disconnected the front panel audio but I still get nothing out of the rear panel audio jacks. GC
    Last edited by chackoge; September 16th, 2008 at 03:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: Duh! Asus K8V-MX, 8.04, No Sound

After working my way through the very helpful link that Bob provided, I thought some more and pulled the cover off the box. Turns out that the FP-audio 10-1 connector should have jumpers on pins 5-6 and 9-10. Else sound doesn't go to the ports on the back. I scrounged a couple from a local repair store and I have sound now. The front panel audio connector doesn't work but I don't care. Thanks for the help. I learnt a lot in solving this problem. GC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: [SOLVED] Asus K8V-MX, 8.04, No Sound

chackoge, omg THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have tried everything to get this sound to work. This was my exact problem. I pulled an old asus board and put it in my HTPC case never thinking the old front panel sound was jumpered in the harness. Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro

Talking Re: [SOLVED] Asus K8V-MX, 8.04, No Sound

Well, thanks are really due to Bob Nutfield for helping me systematically walk through the software issues which forced me to rethink the problem and discover that it was really about hardware configuration. I'm glad the thread was helpful though. Regards. GC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: [SOLVED] Asus K8V-MX, 8.04, No Sound

Very helpful thread! Had the same problem on an old Asus K8V-MX motherboard, assumed it was a software problem in MythBuntu 10.04, tried various things in software for hours, but adding those 2 jumpers got sound working on the rear connectors, so it was a hardware problem all along. Thank you so much for posting the solution!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12