Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skype problem with audio playback 8.10

Beans

Unhappy Skype problem with audio playback 8.10

Hi everyone just upgraded to 8.10 FTW
    well i have this problem I installed Skype and when i start skype up there is no login sound and when i try to call someone it tells me that there is a problem with audio playback and i need skype to work because i need to help him upgrade to 8.10 anyone know the answer i have moved and try every setting in the skype settings but nothing i have tried to move the ALSA mixer around but nothing and skype is the only thing that dosen't work cheers not sure if i will have to downgrade
    Remember kids most thefts come in through Windows Vista

Beans

Re: Skype problem with audio playback 8.10

go to the sound devices setting,select the sound device for sound in,sound out and ringing.
    I selected the device "HDA intel(hw:intel,0)",then skype can working. But the sound out is mono.

Beans

Good post genlies. Same problem tho with mono sound. Here is my audio device
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

Beans

Well, I just uninstalled pulse audio, and used the default device settings, and everything works . Hope it helps u guys too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Removing the package pulseaudio also did the trick for me. For any new users the command to use is:

sudo apt-get remove pulseaudio

and then restart skype and it worked straight away

----------------------EDIT-----------------------------------

As myself and other users discovered this is NOT a good idea. If you do this you probably won't be able to log in to Ubuntu after. If you have experienced this problem you can fix it by hitting CTRL+ALT+F5 - type your login and pass and reinstall pulse audio by entering:

sudo apt-get install pulseaudio

hitting enter and then flick back to your normal login screen by using CTRL+ALT+F7.

Like krazykookmany setting the devices under skype to use pulse is a much better idea, and also fixed my problem... Without breaking my OS.
    Last edited by splint-84; November 3rd, 2008 at 01:11 AM.

Beans

I confirm: removing pulseaudio DOES work.
    Good job!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

While uninstalling Pulse Audio will probably in most cases fix the problem, I wanted to avoid that. By going into the Skype Options and clicking on Sound Devices and changing the settings, I was able to get the test call working. This is what I ended up setting:
    • Sound In: HDA Intel (hw:Intel, 0)
    • Sound Out: HDA Intel (plughw:Intel, 0)
    • Ringing: HDA Intel (plughw, Intel, 0)

So basically I had to experiment with the possible choices. I not totally sure about the Ringing (not sure if that is utilized on the Test Call or not).

Note that I am using a regular headset I plug in to the sound and mic jacks. I am using a Thinkpad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I removed pulseaudio successfully, but then ubuntu (8.10) would not load, saying it couldn't find the pulse audio file (duh). I tried to reinstall it, and did the skype settings above, but that did not work...

Any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!

//
    Last edited by krazykookmany; November 28th, 2010 at 06:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thank you KrazyKookmany, that worked! At least the mic is working now... the sound is still a bit choppy when I hear skype speak, but I suppose I should just mess with the volume settings?

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast