Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gspca driver will not compile in intrepid

Beans

gspca driver will not compile in intrepid

Hi everybody,

This question has been asked couple of times on the forums:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=952718

I was having the same problem and I starting browsing through the code investigating the compile errors one by one. I managed to fix the compile problem and managed to compile and load the gspca driver.
    It seems that there are some interface incompatibilities between the gspcav1-20071224 driver and the current kernel.
    Just to let you know that I have no knowledge of the v4l and how it works. All I did is just found the incompatible parts of the gspca code and updated them to comply with the new changes from the kernel.
    After some time I managed to fix all compile errors and compiled the driver.
    Perhaps someone with better gspca+v4l knowledge can make use of this...

In case there is anyone out there that needs to compile the driver I am attaching a patch for gspcav1-20071224 (note the patch contains QuickCam E2500 from http://forums.quickcamteam.net/showthread.php?tid=310).

I own an E2500 cam and it does not seem to work properly. Most of the time the picture is dark (I don't know how to change the settings, anyone knows?). Sometimes I can see the video, but after I change settings using gqcam the picture goes dark again.

Hope this helps,
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Re: gspca driver will not compile in intrepid

http://v4l2ucp.sourceforge.net/ helps with the image brightness

Beans

this is a widespread glitch on webcam apps since libv4l migration, i think this can only be address on application to application basis, that if the particular webcam app uses the libv4l api.

Beans

did you try adding this to the end of your /etc/modprobe.d/options file?

options gspca gamma=1 autoexpo=0

taken from http://www.actionshrimp.com/2008/08/...-ubuntu-skype/

Thanks for that patch!

Beans

nagolchi,

Thnx that worked...

I still have to test the CPU load mentioned in the given link.

Beans

thanks a lot for this patch, can finally get video on skype again. Hopefully they'll include support for this camera soon, but until then at least I can get something working! This patch works on the source in the gspca-source package in the repos too, as well as the gspcav1-20071224 off the website.

Beans

Exclamation Re: gspca driver will not compile in intrepid

Quote Originally Posted by nagolchi View Post
    did you try adding this to the end of your /etc/modprobe.d/options file?

options gspca gamma=1 autoexpo=0

taken from http://www.actionshrimp.com/2008/08/...-ubuntu-skype/
    I don't understand how this option can work under Intrepid???
    There is no driver gspca alone, but gspca_main and the corresponding to the camera driver (gspca_spca651 for example). It can be useful under hardy, but not under ubuntu 8.10!

Beans

this will work if you compile gspca from the source mentioned above instead of using gspca_main included in the kernel in 8.10

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nagolchi View Post
    this will work if you compile gspca from the source mentioned above instead of using gspca_main included in the kernel in 8.10
    Yes, I agree, it can work in this case, but gspcav1-20071224 driver is very old and you have to patch it for the new camera models. Moreover, there is a problem to make the developer version of the driver from linux-dvb work under new ubuntu kernel. You can easily compile it, but it gives errors when you load driver into the memory.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

i cannot compile, it gives me some errors:

make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=/home/jumbalaya/sources/gspcav1-20071224 CC=cc modules
    make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-21-generic'
    CC [M] /home/jumbalaya/sources/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.o
    /home/jumbalaya/sources/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:54:29: error: linux/semaphore.h: No such file or directory
    In file included from /home/jumbalaya/sources/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:64:
    /home/jumbalaya/sources/gspcav1-20071224/gspca.h:17:30: error: media/v4l2-ioctl.h: No such file or directory
    /home/jumbalaya/sources/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:2615: error: unknown field ‘vfl_type’ specified in initializer
    /home/jumbalaya/sources/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c: In function ‘spca50x_create_sysfs’:
    /home/jumbalaya/sources/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:2773: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘device_create_file’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/jumbalaya/sources/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:2776: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘device_create_file’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/jumbalaya/sources/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:2779: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘device_create_file’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/jumbalaya/sources/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:2784: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘device_remove_file’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/jumbalaya/sources/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:2786: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘device_remove_file’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/jumbalaya/sources/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:2788: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘device_remove_file’ from incompatible pointer type
    /home/jumbalaya/sources/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c: In function ‘spca5xx_probe’:
    /home/jumbalaya/sources/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.c:4315: error: incompatible types in assignment
    make[2]: *** [/home/jumbalaya/sources/gspcav1-20071224/gspca_core.o] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [_module_/home/jumbalaya/sources/gspcav1-20071224] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.24-21-generic'
    make: *** [default] Error 2

i'm using kubuntu 8.04, kernel 2.6.24-21-generic, gspcav1-20071224 patched drivers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast