Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intel D945GCLF2 Motherboard: Unable to use suspend-to-RAM, resume broken?

Beans

Question Intel D945GCLF2 Motherboard: Unable to use suspend-to-RAM, resume broken? [SOLVED]

I am using an Intel D945GCLF2 motherboard with the dualcore hyperthreading Atom 330 processor.

Everything seems to be working fine so far, except suspend-to-RAM.

Suspend-to-RAM (ACPI S3) is explicitly supported by that motherboard, I just upgraded to the latest BIOS version (0122), power-management-option in BIOS "ACPI Suspend" is set to "S3 State" (the other selectable option is "S1 State").

Testing with Ubuntu 8.10, once I initiate pm-suspend the computer is gone to sleep within a few seconds, and it's definitely correctly sleeping (and not just off), because it can be woken up by pressing any button on a connected PS/2 keyboard (in addition to using the power button), which is not the case, if the computer is powered off (then it can only be switched on with the power button).

The problem is now, that it can not be woken up correctly. Once a button on the keyboard or the power button is pressed, I can see the LED on the CDROM drive flash several times (as if it's searching for something on a CDROM), and after a few seconds the computer starts to boot normally, as if it was not sleeping, but just switched off.

It kind of seems, as if the kernel segfaults on resume and then resets the machine, which results in a normal boot, but I can't really tell, because during the failed resume I have no output on screen, and then it is just followed by a normal boot process.

I understand, that such a problem is very hard to debug, because it just can not be analyzed, what's going on during such a failing resume. I already searched the web, and found the Sleep Quirk Debugger Page. I followed the shown instructions:
    Code:
    echo 1 > /sys/power/pm_trace
    pm-suspend
    but checking dmesg after a failed resume and following reboot just gives this:
    Code:
    $ dmesg | grep -i matches
    [    2.836980] bdi 1:15: hash matches
    and I have no idea, what that means (it does not look like the example shown on the mentioned webpage).

Can anybody with an Intel D945GCLF or D945GCLF2 motherboard please check, if suspend-to-RAM results in the same problem on resume, as described, and report back?

I am confident, that this is a general issue, because I tried it with a stock Ubuntu 8.10 installation (minimal-install using the alternate CD with "install a commandline-system"), and the Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop LiveCD (both 32bit). It's just strange, that I could not find any info on resume problems for that motherboard searching the internet.

P.S. I also filed a bug-report on launchpad, please see bug #304457.
    Last edited by Master One; January 12th, 2009 at 01:36 PM. Reason: Issue is solved, see feedback in thread and my last msg.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Intel D945GCLF2 Motherboard: Unable to use suspend-to-RAM, resume broken?

did a quick test and it sems, that suspend to ram work her, a password screen popt up and things was back. onely wifi don`t come up.

its`s a D945GCLF2 whit 2GB ram.
    Intel nuc i3. Roon server

Beans

Now that comes kind of unexpected, because that would mean, it's not a general issue, and also would explain, why I could not find any info on any resume problem on the net.

Please be so kind and have a look at the following questions:

(1) Which BIOS version is on your motherboard? Mind has the latest 0122, full BIOS string as shown on the BIOS main page: LF94510J.86A.0122.2008.1117.0113

(2) When you turn on your computer, do you see a screen with a graphical logo, before the boot-process starts, with something like "Press F2 for BIOS"? Because I don't see a graphic or the F2 prompt, instead the screen stays black, then I see "94" followed by "00" in the lower right corner, which means the keyboard buffer has been cleared followed by ready-to-boot.

(3) What's your video configuration in the BIOS advanced system setup? I have selected the following:
    Code:
    DVMT Mode: <DVMT>
    IGD DVMT Memory: <Maximum DVMT>
    IGD Aperture Size: <256 MB>
    Primary Video Adapter: <Int Graphics (IGD)>
    (4) Do you have anything connected to the IDE port? I have just a slim CDROM burner on IDE, the HDD is on the first SATA port.

I also have 2GB RAM installed, memory configuration in BIOS left at <Automatic>.

The other things I changed in BIOS (which surely do not have anything to do with the described issue):
    Code:
    HPET: <Enable>

ASF Support: <Disable>

After Power Failure: <Last state>
    Wake on LAN from S5: <Power on>
    ACPI Suspend State: <S3 State>
    Wake system from S5: <Disable>
    Keyboard Select: <Keyboard 1>
    There is nothing else, that can have an influence.

I will now perform a new installation of Ubuntu 8.10 and do more tests. I will also install the latest BIOS version once again.

I really need suspend-to-RAM to work, it's one of the must-have features.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

1 LF94510J.86A.0099.2008.1117.0303, i have ann older BIOS then you.

2 the same as you "94" followed by "00". i only se the graphical log
    when i hit the F2 att boot.

3 adjusted my BIOS to same settings you have, suspend to ram still work her.

4 i have a slim dvd, 40 pin IDE to SATA converter, so i don`t use the IDE port, SATA 2.5"hdd

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by executor View Post
    1 LF94510J.86A.0099.2008.1117.0303, i have an older BIOS then you.
    I guess, that's the one version, that was installed, when you got the board. There have been two new versions in the meantime, after 0099 it was 0103, and now it is 0122. AFAIK from the release-note, nothing drastical has changed, so I guess if it's working with 0099, it still should with 0122.

2 the same as you "94" followed by "00". i only se the graphical log when i hit the F2 att boot.
    In the meantime I have found out, that this behavior is normal. The board is too fast with booting to show the graphical logo, and it's mentioned on the Intel website, that if it has to be shown, the harddisc pre-delay (usualy set at "0") should be set to a higher value, which I just tried, and it was showing the logo and "Press F2 for Setup" message then.

3 adjusted my BIOS to same settings you have, suspend to ram still work her.
    And you definitely tried "suspend" aka suspend-to-RAM, and not "hibernation" aka suspend-to-disk? Because I just checked, hibernation is working as expected, so only suspend-to-RAM is causing problems here.

4 i have a slim dvd, 40 pin IDE to SATA converter, so i don`t use the IDE port, SATA 2.5"hdd
    I just tried with PATA disabled in BIOS, and even disconnected the IDE cable and power supply to the slim DVD burner, but that did not change anything.

I was fiddling around with that matter the whole evening, and I am running out of options. I tried all that came to my mind, reflashed the actual BIOS (0122), reseted the CMOS data (by pulling the CMOS battery), applied setup defaults to BIOS settings, exchanged the 2GB MUSTANG DDR2 667MHz memory against 2GB KINGSTON DDR2 667MHz (although both are confirmed to be working with that board), performed a completely new Ubuntu 8.10 32bit installation from the Desktop CDROM + full system update afterwards, and still the same problem: the system seems to suspend properly, but on resume first it takes some time (with the LED on the slim DVD drive flashing) and then it boots normally, if just have been switched on.

As already mentioned, hibernation and resume from hibernation works as expected, so it really is only about resume from suspend-to-RAM.

As nothing else seems to make any sense, I'd say, blame it on the BIOS version 0122 (vs. your working 0099), then I'll have to send a support request to Intel (which must likely will result in nothing at all).

If anybody reading this has any additional ideas, please tell, I am really desperate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

yes i use the system->shut-down->suspend.

"suspend" aka suspend-to-RAM

Beans

executor, you wouldn't want to try the BIOS update to version 0122, to see, if it is still working then?

Somehow I can not believe, that this is a BIOS issue, as usually problems get fixed with newer BIOS releases, not the other way around.

If it's not the BIOS, nor the system memory, maybe the power supply? What else can cause a resume to fail that way?

P.S. I already have sent a support request to Intel, and it will be interesting, how this is turning out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

i wil flash the BIOS tomorrow

Beans

Thanks a lot, executor, this will be of great help. This issue is really driving me crazy.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

ok have flash the BIOS to v0122, suspend to ram still works her,

when you shutdown your computer do you have a green ligthe on the motherboard? if not, then the motherboard is not getting +5v standby power.

http://download.intel.com/support/mo...45013001us.pdf

se page 34-35-36

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast