Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Getting D-link DWA-642 to work. IMPORTANT

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Smile HOWTO: Getting D-link DWA-642 to work. IMPORTANT

Edit:

For 9.04, I found that one has to install ndiswrapper and follow the certain steps for ndiswrapper (like normal), and also remove the blacklist in /etc/modprobe.d/ for ath_pci (should be under blacklistath_pci.conf or something like that). And then reboot, and wallah! If that doesn't work, feel free to contact me... The only thing that I noticed is that the lights on the adapter do not function properly (the connection one just blinks), but it still connects to the Internet just fine, nothing a little black duct tape doesn't solve!
    Personally I use WICD not gnome-network-manager, and I would recommend WICD over Network-Manager any day, but whatever suits your fancy!

N.B. Due to recent updates with ndiswrapper, I, along with others, have been able to run the DWA-642 cards without using madiwifi at all. First try using the card with only ndiswrapper (instructions found here). Supposedly there is now support for this card with ath9k in 8.10 and probably 9.04. It would be interesting if people could try using it; I tried it a long long time ago and it didn't work for me; so I just went with better safe than sorry now!

Before we go on: You need to make sure that you have removed any old attempts to get this card to work. This would include removing linux-restricted-modules, and removing ndiswrapper, so we can start totally from new. Hopefully this will help make your life down the road easier

My dad had the card mentioned above and I could not get it to work. I finally figured out how to get it to work, this is what you do:

First, download and install ndiswrapper-common and ndiswrapper-utils:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 ndisgtk
    These commands are for hardy only, and may change with new updates. If you cannot get onto the internet at all from the computer, you can find both of the packages here:
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/ndiswrapper-common
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/ndisgtk

Download these to a flash drive, and then bring to your computer and make sure that you install them in the order above.

Next, go to System>Administration>Windows Wireless Drivers. After typing in your password, click Install Driver. Then navigate to the CD and find the drivers. Most of the time, XP drivers work fine. Also, each CD has it's own directory for drivers. Most of the time, it can be found in Setup, or in Drivers. For the DWA-642 the driver is found in Setup/Drivers/.

Then click ok, install, and exit Windows Wireless Drivers.

Finally (for this part) add ndiswrapper to the modprobe by typing in
    Code:
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    If you find this not to work for you, and you have to type this in every time you log in, do the following
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/rc.local
    Find right above the exit 0 and add;
    Code:
    sudo modprobe ndiswrapper
    Next, you have to install madwifi. Madwifi is supposed to come with Ubuntu restricted modules, but this way worked for me. First download the latest source code (found here: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/mad...i-0.9.4.tar.gz, EDIT I have noticed that the above version does not work real great, however this one: http://snapshots.madwifi.org/madwifi...0080903.tar.gz works really really well note that if you use this one you will have to change the cd command to correspond to madwifi-trunk-r3856-20080903 not madwifi-0.9.4, if this gives you issues, contact me, but as I said, I have found this trunk to be more stable for what we are doing.) and extract it into your $HOME directory. After it is compiled, change directories to it with the following:
    Code:
    cd ~/madwifi-0.9.4
    Note that this command will be different if you are using a different version of madwifi possibly from the madwifi site.
    After the above command do this:
    Code:
    sudo make
    sudo make install
    And wallah madwifi is now compiled, if it asks you any questions, say yes.
    Finally, type in
    Code:
    sudo modprobe ath_pci
    to allow madwifi to work. As above, if you find that you have to type this in every time you log in, add this to /etc/rc.local as
    Code:
    sudo modprobe ath_pci
    right under sudo modprobe ndiswrapper.

After this is done, restart your computer and there is your card. This is a two pronged attack, and I could see someone getting messed up on it. Please please post a reply of how it went down for you, and also if it worked, that way I can know that I am helping someone
    Good luck, and feel free to respond

NB: Something that I noticed: After many of the software upgrades, this last update updated nautilus, and vlc (guessing nautilus update is the culprit) you will need to recompile and install the madwifi-trunk drivers, because it will not work after a software upgrade. Other than that have fun
    Last edited by FAJALOU; June 16th, 2009 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Further Clarification
    Veritas vos liberabit

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Getting D-link DWA-642 to work. IMPORTANT

Newbie here, I just setup a dual boot on my Vista desktop with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS. I was told that D-Link DWA-542 Wireless Adapter will work right out of the box with most of the distros. But Ubuntu disappointed me, so after some digging around I came across your article, followed it religiously and it worked like a charm. . Thanks a million. Cheers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Sweet this is good to know. I actually noticed after a new install that ndiswrapper got the 642 working with no need for ath_pci, but if this works go for it
    Veritas vos liberabit

Beans

The wireless signal strength is around 54-60%, it never reaches the 100% mark. My router is a Linksys WRT160N, physically located on the first floor and desktop is on the second floor, about 15 feet above it. Not sure if it's the drive or the card itself is the reason behind it. Is there any tweaking I could do to get the full or near full signal strength? Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Virtual_Linuxuser View Post
    The wireless signal strength is around 54-60%, it never reaches the 100% mark. My router is a Linksys WRT160N, physically located on the first floor and desktop is on the second floor, about 15 feet above it. Not sure if it's the drive or the card itself is the reason behind it. Is there any tweaking I could do to get the full or near full signal strength? Thanks again.

Hello! It is great to know that you have it up and working. Personally I would not trust the 'signal strength' indicator on network-manager for beans. It just doesn't work.

Now saying that... There is one way I know of to figure out the actual strength:
    Go to your gnome-panel>Right Click>Add to panel...>Network Monitor
    And add it, then when it is there, click on it once to open it up and bamo, your true signal strength should be right there. I don't know really how otherwise to find this number, but as long as this way works . Hopes this helps.
    Veritas vos liberabit

Beans

Thanks bud...It shows the signal strength around 90%. Couldnt ask for more. Would you happen to know any good book on Ubuntu? more like a administrative manual..thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Uhm Google . I pesronally have found that, when I have an issue, Google and the Forums are the best places to go. If you don't get an answer, the #ubuntu room in Freenode is good too. I don't know of any books... per se, because I have not used any for in depth study; I have primarily used Google, the Forums, and the IRC. But, I do know that if you go to the computer section in any of the stores like Barnes & Noble and/or Borders, they do have books on Ubuntu, that may fit your fancy. Good luck!
    Veritas vos liberabit

Beans

Good stuff..thanks bro.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

This is a draft N card: is it working in Ubuntu at draft N speeds?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No. Currently Ndiswrapper does not have N support yet. Nor does Madwifi, I think, but they are getting close!
    Veritas vos liberabit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast