Thread: [SOLVED] Set Specific Workspaces for Programs?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question [SOLVED] Set Specific Workspaces for Programs?

Hi, I just upgraded to 8.10 and I had a simple question. Basically as the title says I want to setup certain programs to open by default in specific workspaces. For example, have Firefox open in one workspace and Pidgin and Songbird open in another. I know how to move them once they are already opened to a specific workspace but is there a way I can set them to open by default in the said workspace? Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Set Specific Workspaces for Programs?

If you use compiz you can use the compiz config settings manager (or in terminal: ccsm ). Windows management, Place Windows, Fixed Window Placement. Make the applicable entries in the Fixed Viewport section, starting with the New button.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by drs305 View Post
    If you use compiz you can use the compiz config settings manager (or in terminal: ccsm ). Windows management, Place Windows, Fixed Window Placement. Make the applicable entries in the Fixed Viewport section, starting with the New button.
    Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for.

Beans

uhm, I'm a bit confused by the X viewport positions. What value is respectively workspace 1,2,3,4? (If you have only one row?)
    they stole our revolution. we stole it back. they hired us to work on it. and now we're occupying the plant. -@mala

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] Set Specific Workspaces for Programs?

If you don't use compiz, take a look at devilspie.
    Disclaimer: I am currently suffering from severe CSD (Compulsive Sarcasm Disorder).
    My Site | Linux User #452328 | Running Arch Linux on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61XN/C since October 2008

Beans

hmmmm, have a problem with devilspie (see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1029261 ) and still don't understand what the X and Y values are for compiz. tried about everything... So can someone explain what to do in the fixed window placement menu to place an app standard on a certain workspace?
    they stole our revolution. we stole it back. they hired us to work on it. and now we're occupying the plant. -@mala

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I select the lower section of Fixed Window Placement - Windows with Fixed Viewport.

Select New, then the Add (+) symbol.

Select a category - Window Class, Window Title, etc.

I find it easiest to already have the app I want to set up alread open so I can:

Hit 'Grab' and then click on the window you want to place. It will automatically fill in the proper info (Class, Title, etc). Hit Add again if you want to further specify the characteristics.

Set the X Viewport. I have 4 displayed in my workspace switcher, so I can set it to open in any one of the 4.

You can use the top part of the setup page (Windows with Fixed Positions) to place a window X pixels down and left from the top corner. For instance I only use one, to offset a window 75 down and 75 right.
    Last edited by drs305; January 3rd, 2009 at 08:19 PM.
    Back to Xorg...

Retired.